Director of Sales and Marketing
Solar Energy Trade Shows, LLC (SETS) is a jointly owned subsidiary of the Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) and Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA). SETS is dedicated to developing and implementing innovative trade shows that offer lasting value to attendees, provide financial support to SEIA and SEPA, and promote solar industry growth, forwarding our national energy independence. SETS’ current products include Solar Power International (SPI - www.solarpowerinternational.com) and PV America East (PVA - www.pvamericaexpo.com).
As our Director of Sales and Marketing you will develop and implement strategies to increase exhibit and sponsorship sales and attendee registration for SETS’ trade shows and to develop new revenue streams. You will lead a team of five and report directly to the CEO. In this high visibility role, you will work extensively with SEPA, SEIA, and key players throughout the solar industry. You will actively identify, build relationships, and craft strategic partnerships with external organizations.
Your deep familiarity with the solar industry supply chain will enable you to understand the needs of our current customers, identify and develop value propositions for new market segments, and experiment with a variety of innovative ways to expand the market for our services both within and outside the shows.
Your customer understanding will ensure our events deliver outstanding value and continue to be “can’t miss” events. Your strong knowledge of branding and messaging will ensure we continue to preserve the brand integrity and image of SEIA, SEPA and SETS.
We will rely on your keen analytical skills to set and meet marketing goals for events, determine the growth potential of various industry segments, and evaluate the effectiveness of your new marketing initiatives.
You will demonstrate leadership and P&L accountability by prioritizing the efforts of your team toward meeting both short and long term objectives. We will rely on your strong project management ability to ensure we consistently deliver on our promises.
Our expectations for your first two years include:
Develop a robust local, national and international strategic partners program that increases participant registration for the PVA and SPI shows significantly.
Expand the relevance of the shows to new audiences, thereby increasing the number of PVA and SPI exhibitors.
Increase sponsor revenue.
The specific metrics will be resolved by you and the CEO in consultation with staff and board.
Essential Experience and Attributes
This position requires the following:
- 5 or more years of experience with the solar industry, preferably in capacities that provide a broad perspective on the entire supply chain, all channels to market, and all customer segments.
- 5 or more years of experience successfully leading both sales and marketing functions.
- Significant experience with trade shows (either marketing shows or as an exhibitor/customer).
- Technologically savvy. A strong understanding of the power of technology in targeting, marketing, and sales. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and able to use technology to work collaboratively with team members in various locations.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to travel (up to 25%).
- Strategic thinker who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves to get the job done.
- Analytical mind with a strong ability to identify and diagnose challenges of different market segments, create solutions to those challenges, and effectively communicate using messages which translate to that particular market segment.
- Natural tendency to act as a “connector”, always looking to make connections between ideas and/or people,
- Excellent collaborator and listener, able to engage SEIA and SEPA to reconcile their key branding and mission needs and to draw on their expertise in SETS marketing and to align marketing efforts between the organizations.
- Stature and confidence to build relationships and credibility internally and externally.
- Prizes relationships; establishes relationships by developing trust and by demonstrating willingness and ability to create value.
- Talent for business innovation with a constant eye towards evaluating the value proposition and new ways to meet objectives.
- Independent, self-starter with the ability to make good decisions without constant direction.
- Focus on accountability with a drive to meet goals.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to lead teams of people towards common goals.
- Strong project manager with proven track record of completing short-term tasks under time-sensitive deadlines, while continuing to manage on-going long-term projects.
- Motivated learner who is comfortable in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating with and managing vendors.
- Passion for the solar industry and commitment to the missions of SEPA and SEIA as SETS’ parent organizations.
- Flexibility to deal with a fluid marketplace in a young and still formative organization.
SETS is dedicated to the development and implementation of trade shows which offer lasting value to attendees, provide financial support to SEIA/SEPA, and promote solar industry growth in a manner consistent with SEIA/SEPA missions. We are also positioned to support the rapid growth of the U.S. solar industry, significant job creation, and increased energy independence. SETS brings a focused approach to the industry's premier events that support the rapid expansion of the solar energy industry itself. We remain focused on producing the most effective trade shows found anywhere – from business-model excellence to effective networking, we seek to enable the relationships that drive the solar industry forward. Proceeds from these events are invested in the continued growth of the U.S. solar energy market through SEIA's and SEPA's research and education activities, as well as SEIA's advocacy efforts.
Established in 1974, the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the U.S. solar energy industry. Through advocacy and education, SEIA is building a strong solar industry to power America. As the voice of the industry, SEIA works with its member companies to make solar a mainstream and significant energy source by expanding markets, removing market barriers, strengthening the industry, and educating the public on the benefits of solar energy.
The Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) is an educational non-profit dedicated to helping utilities integrate solar power into their energy portfolios for the benefit of the utility, its customers, and the public good. With more than 1,000 utility and solar industry members, SEPA provides unbiased utility solar market intelligence, up-to-date information regarding technologies and business models, and peer-to-peer interaction. From hosting national events to one-on-one counseling, SEPA helps utilities make smart solar decisions.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- This high visibility position places you at the very center of the solar industry. Your natural ability to make connections with people and ideas will benefit the entire industry for years to come.
- We actively encourage innovation. We welcome your innate creativity and ability to conceive and launch new marketing initiatives.
- You will be able to see the results of your work, in new revenues with expanded participation, in more interesting show floors and new products, and new value rendered to the solar field.
- Your contributions and leadership will be appreciated. Our staff (SETS, SEPA and SEIA) are dedicated, good at what they do, and will be deeply appreciative of your ability to increase the visibility and value of our services.
- The process is yours to develop and manage – ultimately your efforts will create and preserve an environment that is both fun and highly productive, and continually elevates our service delivery and the quality of our tradeshows.
- You are in a key position to stay abreast of information that will benefit staff across all three organizations and help them do their jobs better. Your contributions ensure our tradeshows remain the premier events for the industry.
- This is a highly visible, collaborative position in an organization where everyone is treated with respect, and everyone’s expertise is valued.
- SETS offers a comprehensive compensation/benefits package.
This search is managed by Jennie Kinsfather at Staffing Advisors. Please forward your resume to Jennie@StaffingAdvisors.com with “SETS – Director of Sales and Marketing” in the subject line of the email.