Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry representing nearly 1,000 member companies from across the world. Our mission is to make solar energy mainstream in the United States through advancing policy that expands markets and removes market barriers.
At SEIA, our staff arrives to the office every morning knowing that their work improves our country's energy independence and helps to revitalize our economy through the creation of thousands of U.S. jobs. Combining a strong sense of purpose and a great work environment has resulted in SEIA being selected as one of the “Best Non-Profits” in the U.S., three years in a row.
SEIA seeks a visionary and strategic communications professional with 10+ years of experience to lead SEIA’s communications efforts. The ideal candidate possesses a deep understanding of how to effectively and efficiently communicate on behalf of a national organization with diverse member needs to a variety of constituents via both traditional and online media. Must have experience working closely with the press, managing communications teams, leading online and social media efforts, handling internal communications issues, managing crisis communications work, and working across departments.
The VP of Communications serves as a member of SEIA’s executive leadership team to define and advance organization-wide marketing and communications priorities, while developing and executing an integrated communications strategy that advances the U.S. solar energy industry. As the head of the communications department of a national association, the position plays a critical role in the success of SEIA and the solar industry as a whole. The VP of Communications reports to the President & CEO.
- Maintain and further develop SEIA’s role as the voice of the U.S. solar industry
- Develop and implement a long-term strategic communications plan for SEIA
- Manage SEIA’s communications team to deliver high-quality products and services
- Oversee SEIA’s online presence, including www.seia.org, www.americasupportssolar.org and various social media platforms
- Manage communications consultants, reporting and budget functions
- Promote clear internal communications efforts throughout the organization
- Design and manage external communications campaigns that promote SEIA priorities
- Provide strategic vision for the advocacy and communications components of major policy initiatives
- Manage organizational brand and message discipline across all programmatic materials, including press releases, op-eds, speeches, online content and events
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key state and national energy reporters
- Serve as an official spokesperson for SEIA
- Work with stakeholders, including member companies and the SEIA Board of Directors, to engender cooperation and coordination of message
- Work with internal departments to assess their PR and marketing needs and how to best communicate their efforts/accomplishments/contributions to the industry
- Oversee existing Press Officer, Digital Media Manager, Public Relations Manager, and contractors
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- 10+ years of experience in communications, public relations or related field
- Proven ability to assess the communications needs of a national organization, develop strategies to meet those needs successfully with print, broadcast, and digital media
- Basic knowledge of website management and best practice
- Experience with email marketing and other forms of digital communications, both internal and externa
- Demonstrated understanding of all of the elements of our communications capacity (digital communications, web/social media, press, marketing, events) with cutting-edge expertise in at least one element
- Must be willing to adapt to new technologies and strategies as they become available
- Proven management experience, building, motivating, and overseeing a team with diverse skills/expertise so that all components deliver at a high level
- Proven ability to delegate among team members
- Experience in crisis communications and organizational reputation management
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven high-level relationships with members of national media outlets
- Experience in advocacy campaigns and/or membership organizations preferred
- Understanding of energy and/or environmental issues preferred
- Experience working with the Hill or Administration preferred
This position is based in Washington, D.C. Salary is commensurate with experience and other qualifications
Bachelor's degree in a related field required. Advanced degree preferred.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter, résumé, references and 3 writing samples to email@example.com with “Vice President of Communications - 2015-20 included in the subject line. No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms. Positions are open until filled. SEIA is an equal opportunity employer. Learn more about SEIA at www.seia.org.