Research & Resources
You are here
Solar Means Business Report
Released Dec. 1, 2015
More of America’s businesses are choosing to install solar than ever before. Walmart once again took the top spot among America’s businesses in the electric generation capacity of its solar investments and number of solar projects. The big box retailer, based in Bentonville, Ark., boasts a robust 142 megawatts (MW) of solar photovoltaic (PV) capacity and has completed 348 installations. Get the full report
Click the buttons below to take different tours of our solar map:
Key takeaways from the report:
- • This report covers more than 1,686 individual commercial solar systems around the country with a combined installed capacity of 907 megawatts (MW), enough to power more than 158,000 homes.
- • The amount of solar installed at U.S. corporations and businesses is enough to offset 890,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions each year.
- • The average price of a commercial photovoltaic (PV) system has dropped by nearly 30 percent in the past 3 years. With prices continuing to fall and at $3.03/W in Q2 2015, commercial solar prices are the lowest they’ve ever been and are continuing to fall.
- • Walmart continues to lead the pack with more than 142 megawatts of installed solar across 348 systems.
- • One of the sector’s fastest-growing areas is in carports, where 42 of the 67 carport solar systems have been installed since 2012.
- • The companies covered in the Solar Means Business report have installed more than 338 MW of solar in the last year, representing an 59% percent increase over installations tracked in 2014
- • There are now commercial solar installations in 38 states, as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia, with systems expanding this year to Arkansas, Kansas and Indiana
Reflective of the growing popularity and increasing growth of solar nationwide, many of America’s leading Fortune 100 companies continue to significantly ramp up their use of clean solar energy, according to the 4th annual Solar Means Business report...read more
Commercial solar continues to grow as this report tracks the entrance into 4 new state markets in 2015. Explore photos of the installations at corporate retail sites, factories and data centers...see them all
As of 2015, this report has found more than 907 MW of solar energy installed at 1,686 individual systems across the country...see the map
Have all of the data on commercial solar at your fingertips. Designed for industry experts and communications practicioners, the Solar Means Business Cheat Sheet is meant for you to have at your desk. It summarizes top-line data from the full report. Get it now.