Organization Description: Established in 1974, the Solar Energy Industries Association is the national trade association of the solar energy industry. Through advocacy and education, SEIA is working to build a strong solar industry to power America. As the voice of the industry, SEIA works with its 1,000 members to make solar a mainstream and significant energy source by expanding markets, removing market barriers, strengthening the industry and educating the public on the benefits of solar energy. For more information, see the SEIA website at www.seia.org.
Internship Description: SEIA State Affairs seeks a second or third year law student to assist with its state regulatory and advocacy work. The candidate should be available 10-30 hours per week. The candidate should demonstrate an interest in energy, environmental, and/or administrative law and policy. The candidate should be a self-starter who is excited about developing solar and renewable energy markets. The candidate should have strong writing/research skills, strong communications skills, strong analytical skills, and enjoy working on a team. An interest in working in-house is a plus.
The legal intern will report directly to State Affairs Regulatory Counsel, assisting with SEIA’s state level advocacy efforts throughout the United States. The legal intern may also assist with in-house legal matters.
- Research and report on regulatory and legislative developments related to solar and energy markets throughout the United States
- Draft and submit regulatory filings, such as testimony, briefs, and comments
- Exposure to regulatory and legislative processes in states around the country
- Participate in weekly state committee calls with SEIA members
- Assist SEIA’s legislative efforts by providing legal research and drafting legislative language
- Assist SEIA’s litigation efforts, including document review; drafting discovery requests; strategizing with internal and outside counsel
- Participate on calls with outside counsel
- Assist with in-house legal matters
Compensation: A transportation stipend is available.