The Colorado solar market is limited by utility procurement and utility incentive programs. Therefore while Colorado is friendly to solar, there has not been substantive annual growth in recent years. SEIA is fighting challenges to net metering and encourage solar opportunity throughout Colorado.
Facts on the Colorado Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 360 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Colorado, employing 3,600 people.
- In 2013, Colorado installed 56 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 10th nationally.
- The 376 MW of solar energy currently installed in Colorado ranks the state 8th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 68,600 homes.
- In 2013, $233 million was invested in Colorado to install solar for home, business and utility use.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Colorado have fallen by 17% in the last year. National prices have also dropped steadily — by 8% from last year and 34% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
SEIA Colorado State Policy Priorities
- Defend the Colorado Renewable Energy Standard.
- Support policies that to promote fair solar access, including permitting, interconnection and tax assessment.
- Support policies to encourage Solar Heating and Cooling technologies.
- Ensure transparency in and maximum opportunity within the Xcel Energy's Solar*Rewards Program.
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
Notable Solar Installations in Colorado
- San Luis Valley Solar Ranch in Alamosa County was completed in 2011 by developer Iberdrola. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 30 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 5,400 Colorado homes.
- At 30 MW, Alamosa Solar Generating Project is among the largest solar installations in Colorado. Completed in 2012 by Cogentrix, this concentrating photovoltaics project has enough electric capacity to power more than 5,400 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Colorado
- There are currently more than 360 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Colorado. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 37 manufacturers, 13 manufacturing facilities, 187 contractor/installers, 22 project developers, 28 distributors and 86 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Colorado State Solar Policy Resources
Colorado State Energy Office – Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Colorado State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Colorado
Colorado Public Utilities Commisssion – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of California public utilities
DSIRE Incentives Database - Colorado – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Colorado and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Colorado State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government