Illinois is a growing solar market that has benefited a strong renewable portfolio standard that requires they generate 25% of their energy from renewable sources by 2025.
Facts on the Illinois Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 227 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Illinois, employing 2,100 people.
- In 2013, Illinois installed 2 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 30th nationally.
- The 53 MW of solar energy currently installed in Illinois ranks the state 24th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 7,500 homes.
- In 2013, $6 million was invested in Illinois to install solar for home, business and utility use.
- The price to install solar on homes and businesses has dropped steadily across the country — by 8% from last year and 34% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Solar Installations in Illinois
- West Pullman Solar Park in Chicago was completed in 2010 by developer SunPower. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 8 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 1,100 Illinois homes.
- At 20 MW, Grand Ridge Solar Plant in LaSalle County is among the largest solar installations in Illinois. Completed in 2012 by Invenergy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 2,700 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Illinois
- There are currently more than 227 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Illinois. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 54 manufacturers, 16 manufacturing facilities, 67 contractor/installers, 19 project developers, 23 distributors and 64 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Illinois Commerce Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Illinois public utilities
Illinois State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Illinois
Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database Illinois - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Illinois and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Illinois State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government