Illinois is a growing solar market that has benefited a strong renewable portfolio standard that requires they generate 25% of their energy from renewable sources by 2025.
Facts on the Illinois Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 274 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Illinois, employing 3,500 people.
- In 2015, Illinois installed 11 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 26th nationally.
- The 65 MW of solar energy currently installed in Illinois ranks the state 26th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 9,500 homes.
- In 2015, $24 million was invested on solar installations in Illinois. This represents a 48% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 6% from last year and 48% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Solar Installations in Illinois
- West Pullman Solar Park in Chicago was completed in 2013 by developer SunPower. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 8 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 1,200 Illinois homes.
- Several large retailers in Illinois have gone solar, including Walgreens. IKEA has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with over 1 MW of solar capacity at their location in Bolingbrook.
- At 20 MW, Grand Ridge Solar Plant in LaSalle County is among the largest solar installations in Illinois. Completed in 2012 by Invenergy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 2,900 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Illinois
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Illinois.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Illinois.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Illinois offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Illinois Commerce Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Illinois public utilities
Illinois State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Illinois
Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database Illinois - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Illinois and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Illinois State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government