Despite its small size, Delaware continues to increase its solar capacity at a rapid pace. It is not one of the sunnier states, but strong solar policies are driving the industry. The state’s renewable portfolio standard (RPS) has set a target of achieving 25% of its power from renewables by 2026, with 3.5% required to come from solar. In addition, the state’s net metering law allows third-party solar financing and shared solar, supporting the distributed solar market.
Facts on the Delaware Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 38 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Delaware, employing 360.
- In 2012, Delaware installed 18 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 19th nationally. See more state solar rankings.
- Delaware ranks 19th in the country in cumulative installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 4,700 homes.
- In 2012, $13 million was invested in Delaware to install solar on homes and businesses.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Solar Installations in Delaware
- Dover Sun Park was completed in 2011 by developer SunPower. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 10 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 1,100 Delaware homes.
- Another utility-scale project, Georgetown Solar Farm, is currently under construction in Delaware and is scheduled to come online in 2013. Developed by SunEdison, this 4 MW photovoltaic project will generate enough electricity to power 400 homes.
- At 12 MW, Milford Solar Farm is among the largest solar installations in Delaware. Completed in 2012 by Juwi Solar Inc, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power over 1,300 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Delaware
There are currently more than 38 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Delaware. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 7 manufacturers, 3 manufacturing facilities, 26 contractor/installers, 1 project developer, 1 distributor and 3 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Delaware State Solar Policy Resources
Delaware Public Services Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Delaware public utilities
Delaware State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Delaware
Division of Energy and Climate - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Delaware’s Renewable Energy Task Force - Provides recommendations on establishing renewable energy trading mechanisms and other structures to support the growth of renewable energy in Delaware.
DSIRE incentives database Delaware - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Delaware and across the United States
US Energy Information Administration- Delaware State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government