Despite its small size, Delaware continues to increase its solar capacity at a rapid pace. It is not one of the sunnier states, but strong solar policies are driving the industry. The state’s renewable portfolio standard (RPS) has set a target of achieving 25% of its power from renewables by 2026, with 3.5% required to come from solar. In addition, the state’s net metering law allows third-party solar financing and shared solar, supporting the distributed solar market.
Facts on the Delaware Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 48 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Delaware, employing 400 people.
- In 2014, Delaware installed 7 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 26th nationally.
- The 65 MW of solar energy currently installed in Delaware ranks the state 24th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 7,700 homes.
- In 2014, $21 million was invested on solar installations in Delaware.
- Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 6% from last year and 53% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Solar Installations in Delaware
- Dover Sun Park was completed in 2011 by developer SunPower. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 10 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 1,100 Delaware homes.
- Several large retailers in Delaware have gone solar. Walgreens has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 50 kW of solar capacity at their location in Seaford.
- At 12 MW, Milford Solar Farm is among the largest solar installations in Delaware. Completed in 2012 by Juwi Solar Inc, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 1,300 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Delaware
There are currently more than 48 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Delaware. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 8 manufacturers, 3 manufacturing facilities, 30 contractor/installers, 2 project developers, 3 distributors and 5 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Delaware.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Delaware.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Delaware offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Delaware Public Services Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Delaware public utilities
Delaware State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Delaware
Division of Energy and Climate - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Delaware’s Renewable Energy Task Force - Provides recommendations on establishing renewable energy trading mechanisms and other structures to support the growth of renewable energy in Delaware.
DSIRE incentives database Delaware - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Delaware and across the United States
US Energy Information Administration- Delaware State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government