Facts on the Indiana Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 62 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Indiana, employing 1,500 people.
- In 2013, Indiana installed 54 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 11th nationally.
- The 88 MW of solar energy currently installed in Indiana ranks the state 19th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 9,000 homes.
- In 2013, $112 million was invested in Indiana to install solar for home, business and utility use.
- The price to install solar on homes and businesses has dropped steadily across the country — by 8% from last year and 34% from 2010.
Get more solar industry data.
SEIA Indiana State Policy Priorities
- Promote distributed generation (including wholesale DG) policies.
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure reasonable and equitable property taxation treatment for solar systems.
Notable Solar Installations in Indiana
- Indianapolis International Airport Solar Farm was completed in 2013 by developer Telamon Corporation and Johnson Melloh Solutions. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 12.5 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 1,800 Indiana homes.
- At 9 MW, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Solar Farm is among the largest solar installations in Indiana. Completed in 2014 by SunWize Technologies and Blue Renewable Energy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 1,000 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Indiana
- There are currently more than 62 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Indiana. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 20 manufacturers, 11 manufacturing facilities, 28 contractor/installers, 1 project developer, 10 distributors and 3 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Indiana State Solar Policy Resources