Facts on the Iowa Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 52 solar companies1 at work throughout the value chain in Iowa, employing 349 people2.
- In 2015, Iowa installed 6 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 32nd nationally3.
- In 2015, $16 million was invested on solar installations in Iowa.
- The 29 MW of solar energy currently installed in Iowa ranks the state 29th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 3,000 homes.
- Over the next five years, Iowa is expected to install 170 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking the state 33rd over that time span. This amount is more than 7 times the amount of solar installed over the last five years.
- Installed solar PV system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 12% from last year and 66% from 2010.
Solar Companies in Iowa
There are currently more than 52 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Iowa. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 8 manufacturers, 5 manufacturing facilities, 35 contractor/installers, 3 project developers, 2 distributors and 4 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Iowa.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Iowa.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Iowa offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Iowa Utilities Board - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Iowa public utilities
Iowa State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Iowa
DSIRE Incentives Database – Iowa – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Iowa and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration – Iowa State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government