With numerous utility-scale, residential and commercial solar projects, Nevada is emerging as a top state for solar opportunity. Legislation passed in 2013 has helped to encourage growth in all market sectors. SEIA has been working with local stakeholders and policy makers on the implementation of this legislation in 2014.
Facts on the Nevada Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 109 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Nevada, employing 5,900 people.
- In 2014, Nevada installed 339 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 3rd nationally.
- The 789 MW of solar energy currently installed in Nevada ranks the state 5th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 120,000 homes.
- In 2014, $569 million was invested on solar installations in Nevada. This represents a 427% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily -- by 8% from last year and 49% from 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Nevada
- Copper Mountain 2 in Boulder City was completed in 2012 by developer First Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 92 MW of electricity -- enough to power over 13,200 Nevada homes.
- Another utility scale project, Copper Mountain 3, is currently under construction in Nevada and is scheduled to come online in 2015.
- At 110 MW, Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project in Nye County is among the largest solar installations in Nevada. Completed in 2014 by SolarReserve, this concentrating solar power project has enough electric capacity to power more than 75,000 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
SEIA Nevada State Policy Priorities
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
- Expand DG opportunity through the Solar Generations program (implementation of AB 428).
- Ensure fair and transparent rules for utility-scale solicitations (implementation of SB 123).
- Increase the amount of solar in the state renewable portfolio standard.
Solar Companies in Nevada
- There are currently more than 109 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Nevada. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 13 manufacturers, 6 manufacturing facilities, 59 contractor/installers, 11 project developers, 10 distributors and 16 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Nevada State Solar Policy Resources
Nevada State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Nevada Public Utilities Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Nevada public utilities
Nevada Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Nevada
DSIRE incentives database - Nevada - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Nevada and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Nevada State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government