With numerous utility-scale, residential and commercial solar projects, Nevada is one of the top ten states for installed PV solar, and one of the top three states for installed concentrating solar power.
Facts on the Nevada Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 77 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Nevada, employing 2,400.
- 108 MW of solar were installed in Nevada in the fourth quarter of 2012. This marks a 310% increase over the last quarter and a 254% increase over the same quarter last year. Nevada ranked 3rd nationally in Q4 installations. See more solar state rankings.
- In 2012, Nevada installed 198 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 4th nationally.
- The 403 MW of solar energy currently installed in Nevada ranks the state 4th in the country in cumulative installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 58,000 homes.
- In 2012, $37 million was invested in Nevada to install solar on homes and businesses.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Nevada continue to fall--by 11% from last year. National prices have also dropped steadily--by 14% from last year and 31% since 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Nevada
- Nevada Solar One in Boulder City powers more than 14,000 homes per year using photovoltaic technology. This 64 MW project came online in 2007 and offsets the emissions equivalent of 20,000 cars.
- Copper Mountain Solar Farm in Boulder City is a 55 MW photovoltaic system that generates enough electricity to serve about 17,000 homes annually. Before coming online in 2010, Copper Mountain Solar Farm created 350 construction jobs.
- When completely finished, the Copper Mountain 2 Solar Farm in Boulder City will generate enough clean energy to power 45,000 homes annually. 92 MW of this photovoltaic project were commissioned in December 2012, making it the largest operating solar project in the state. The remaining 58 MW will come online by 2015.
See our solar installations maps.
SEIA Nevada State Policy Priorities
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
- Increase the amount of solar in the state renewable portfolio standard.
Solar Companies in Nevada
There are currently more than 77 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Nevada. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 9 manufacturers, 8 manufacturing facilities, 31 contractor/installers, 7 project developers, 9 distributors and 21 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Nevada State Solar Policy Resources
Nevada State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Nevada Public Utilities Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Nevada public utilities
Nevada Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Nevada
DSIRE incentives database - Nevada - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Nevada and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Nevada State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government