With numerous utility-scale, residential and commercial solar projects, Nevada is one of the top ten states for installed PV solar, and one of the top three states for installed concentrating solar power.
Facts on the Nevada Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 80 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Nevada, employing 2,400.
- In 2013, Nevada installed 47 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 12th nationally.
- The 450 MW of solar energy currently installed in Nevada ranks the state 6th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 64,300 homes.
- In 2013, $37 million was invested in Nevada to install solar on homes and businesses.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Nevada have fallen by 38% in the last year. National prices have also dropped steadily— by 12% from last year and 31% from 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Nevada
- Copper Mountain 2 was completed in 2012 by developer First Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 92 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 13,200 Nevada homes.
- Another utility-scale project, Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project in Nye County, is currently under construction in Nevada and is scheduled to come online in 2013. Developed by SolarReserve, this 110 MW concentrating solar power project will generate enough electricity to power 75,000 homes.
- At 75 MW, Nevada Solar One in Boulder City is among the largest solar installations in Nevada. Completed in 2009 by Acciona, this concentrating solar power project has enough electric capacity to power more than 14,400 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
SEIA Nevada State Policy Priorities
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
- Increase the amount of solar in the state renewable portfolio standard.
Solar Companies in Nevada
- There are currently more than 80 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Nevada. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 10 manufacturers, 5 manufacturing facilities, 42 contractor/installers, 7 project developers, 5 distributors and 16 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Nevada State Solar Policy Resources
Nevada State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Nevada Public Utilities Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Nevada public utilities
Nevada Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Nevada
DSIRE incentives database - Nevada - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Nevada and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Nevada State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government