New Mexico is home to 93 solar companies that have worked hard to increase the efficiency of solar in the state.
Facts on the New Mexico Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 93 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in New Mexico, employing 1,900 people.
- In 2013, New Mexico installed 45 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 13th nationally.
- The 319 MW of solar energy currently installed in New Mexico ranks the state 10th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 73,000 homes.
- In 2013, $131 million was invested in New Mexico to install solar for home, business and utility use. This represents a 61% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- The price to install solar on homes and businesses has dropped steadily across the country — by 8% from last year and 34% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in New Mexico
- Cimarron Solar Facility was completed in 2010 by developer First Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 30 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 6,100 New Mexico homes.
- At 50 MW, Macho Springs Solar Project in Deming is among the largest solar installations in New Mexico. Completed in 2014 by First Solar, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 10,200 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in New Mexico
There are currently more than 93 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in New Mexico. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 13 manufacturers, 9 manufacturing facilities, 52 contractor/installers, 5 project developers, 7 distributors and 16 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
New Mexico State Solar Policy Resources
New Mexico Public Regulation Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of New Mexico public utilities
New Mexico State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in New Mexico
DSIRE Incentives Database - New Mexico – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in New Mexico and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - New Mexico State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government