Facts on the Oregon Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 145 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Oregon, employing 2,100 people.
- In 2014, Oregon installed 8 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 25th nationally.
- The 89 MW of solar energy currently installed in Oregon ranks the state 21st in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 10,000 homes.
- In 2014, $28 million was invested on solar installations in Oregon.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Oregon have fallen by 13% in the last year. National Prices have also dropped steadily- by 12% from last year and 45% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in Oregon
- Bellevue Solar Project in Yamhill County was completed in 2011 by developer EDF Renewables. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 2 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 200 Oregon homes.
- Several large retailers in Oregon have gone solar, including Walgreens, Kohl's, REI, Safeway and Intel. IKEA has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 497 kW of solar capacity at their location in Portland
- At 5 MW, Outback Solar Project in Lake County is among the largest solar installations in Oregon. Completed in 2011 by Obsidian Finance Group, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 500 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Oregon
There are currently more than 145 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Oregon. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 33 manufacturers, 12 manufacturing facilities, 64 contractor/installers, 11 project developers, 10 distributors and 27 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Oregon State Solar Policy Resources
Oregon Public Utilities Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Oregon public utilities
Oregon State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Oregon
DSIRE Incentives Database - Oregon – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Oregon and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Oregon State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government