Pennsylvania is home to more than 457 solar businesses, making it one of the largest solar employers in the nation. Solar firms in this state offer a wide variety of solar goods and services, including solar cell and module manufacturing, as well as residential and commercial solar installations.
The Pennsylvania State Capitol building in Harrisburg houses the state General Assembly
and Supreme Court, as well as the Governor and Lieutenant Governor.
Facts on the Pennsylvania Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 471 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania, employing 2,800 people.
- In 2014, Pennsylvania installed 10 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 24th nationally.
- The 245 MW of solar energy currently installed in Pennsylvania ranks the state 12th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 30,000 homes.
- In 2014, $27 million was invested on solar installations in Pennsylvania.
- Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily -- by 8% from last year and 49% from 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Solar Park was completed in 2014 by developer Green Energy Capital Partners. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 10 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 1,200 Pennsylvania homes.
- Several large retailers in Pennsylvania have gone solar, including IKEA, Crayola, Staples and Kohl's. Snyder's has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 3,500 kW of solar capacity at their location in Hanover
- At 6 MW, Keystone Solar Project in Lancaster County is among the largest solar installations in Pennsylvania. Completed in 2012 by Community Energy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 700 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Pennsylvania
There are currently more than 471 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 98 manufacturers, 46 manufacturing facilities, 266 contractor/installers, 22 project developers, 26 distributors and 59 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Pennsylvania State Solar Policy Resources
Public Utility Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Pennsylvania public utilities
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Pennsylvania
State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database - Pennsylvania - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Pennsylvania and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Pennsylvania State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government