Pennsylvania is home to more than 493 solar businesses, making it one of the largest solar employers in the nation. Solar firms in this state offer a wide variety of solar goods and services, including solar cell and module manufacturing, as well as residential and commercial solar installations.
The Pennsylvania State Capitol building in Harrisburg houses the state General Assembly
and Supreme Court, as well as the Governor and Lieutenant Governor.
Facts on the Pennsylvania Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 493 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania, employing 2,500 people.
- In 2015, Pennsylvania installed 13 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 24th nationally.
- The 258 MW of solar energy currently installed in Pennsylvania ranks the state 15th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 30,000 homes.
- In 2015, $32 million was invested on solar installations in Pennsylvania. This represents a 21% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 6% from last year and 48% from 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Solar Park was completed in 2014 by developer Green Energy Capital Partners. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 10 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 1,200 Pennsylvania homes.
- Several large retailers in Pennsylvania have gone solar, including IKEA, Crayola, Staples, Walmart and Kohl's. Snyder's has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 3.5 MW of solar capacity at their location in Hanover.
- At 6 MW, Keystone Solar Project in Lancaster County is among the largest solar installations in Pennsylvania. Completed in 2012 by Community Energy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 700 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Pennsylvania
There are currently more than 493 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 107 manufacturers, 46 manufacturing facilities, 269 contractor/installers, 23 project developers, 26 distributors and 68 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Pennsylvania.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Pennsylvania.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Pensylvania offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Public Utility Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Pennsylvania public utilities
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Pennsylvania
State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database - Pennsylvania - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Pennsylvania and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Pennsylvania State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government