Pennsylvania is home to more than 350 solar businesses, making it one of the largest solar employers in the nation. Solar firms in this state offer a wide variety of solar goods and services, including solar cell and module manufacturing, as well as residential and commercial solar installations.
The Pennsylvania State Capitol building in Harrisburg houses the state General Assembly
and Supreme Court, as well as the Governor and Lieutenant Governor.
Facts on the Pennsylvania Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 365 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania, employing 4,000.
- Pennsylvania ranked 12th nationally in Q4 installations. See more solar state rankings.
- In 2012, Pennsylvania ranked12th nationally in solar capacity installed.
- The 196 MW of solar energy currently installed in Pennsylvania ranks the state 8th in the country in cumulative installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 21,000 homes.
- In 2012, $171 million was invested in Pennsylvania to install solar on homes and businesses.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Pennsylvania continue to fall--by 1% from last year. National prices have also dropped steadily--by 14% from last year and 31% since 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Pennsylvania
- Pocono Raceway Solar Facility in Long Pond is a 3 MW photovoltaic system that came online in 2010.
- The Crayola Factory Solar Project in Easton is a 1.5 MW photovoltaic system that produces enough energy to manufacture 1 billion crayons a year.
- Keystone Solar Project in Lancaster is Pennsylvania’s largest utility-scale solar project. This 6 MW photovoltaic system came online in 2012 and produces enough energy to power about 1,000 homes annually.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Pennsylvania
There are currently more than 365 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 72 manufacturers, 43 manufacturing facilities, 208 contractor/installers, 13 project developers, 18 distributors and 54 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Pennsylvania State Solar Policy Resources
Public Utility Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Pennsylvania public utilities
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Pennsylvania
State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database - Pennsylvania - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Pennsylvania and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Pennsylvania State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government