Pennsylvania is home to more than 442 solar businesses, making it one of the largest solar employers in the nation. Solar firms in this state offer a wide variety of solar goods and services, including solar cell and module manufacturing, as well as residential and commercial solar installations.
The Pennsylvania State Capitol building in Harrisburg houses the state General Assembly
and Supreme Court, as well as the Governor and Lieutenant Governor.
Facts on the Pennsylvania Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 442 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania, employing 2,900.
- In 2013, Pennsylvania installed 38 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 14th nationally.
- The 236 MW of solar energy currently installed in Pennsylvania ranks the state 11th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 28,600 homes.
- In 2013, $144 million was invested in Pennsylvania to install solar for home, business and utility use.
- The price to install solar on homes and business has dropped steadily across the country — by 4% from last year and 37% from 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Pennsylvania
- Pocono Raceway Solar Facility in Long Pond was completed in 2010 by developer EDF Renewables. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 3 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 300 Pennsylvania homes.
- At 6 MW, Keystone Solar Project in Lancaster County is among the largest solar installations in Pennsylvania. Completed in 2012 by Community Energy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 700 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Pennsylvania
There are currently more than 442 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 83 manufacturers, 44 manufacturing facilities, 269 contractor/installers, 20 project developers, 22 distributors and 48 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Pennsylvania State Solar Policy Resources
Public Utility Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Pennsylvania public utilities
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Pennsylvania
State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database - Pennsylvania - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Pennsylvania and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Pennsylvania State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government