There are more than 46 solar companies in Vermont, helping the industry grow 249% in 2012.
Facts on the Vermont Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 46 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Vermont, employing 310.
- In 2012, Vermont installed 12 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 20th nationally.
- Vermont ranks 22nd in the country in cumulative installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 4,800 homes.
- In 2012, $19 million was invested in Vermont to install solar on homes and businesses. This represents a 249% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Vermont have fallen by 19% in the last year. National prices have also dropped steadily— by 5% from last year and 28% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in Vermont
- South Burlington Solar Farm was completed in 2011 by developer AllEarth Renewables. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 2 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 300 Vermont homes.
- At 3 MW, SunGen1 in Sharon is among the largest solar installations in Vermont. Completed in 2012 by Talmage Solar Engineering , this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 500 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Vermont
- There are currently more than 46 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Vermont. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 9 manufacturers, 3 manufacturing facilities, 23 contractor/installers, 06 distributors and 8 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Vermont State Solar Policy Resources
Vermont Public Service Board – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Vermont public utilities
Vermont State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Vermont
DSIRE Incentives Database - Vermont – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Vewrmont and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Vermont State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government