Facts on the Vermont Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 38 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Vermont, employing 310.
- Vermont ranked 15th nationally in Q4 installations. See more solar state rankings.
- In 2012, Vermont ranked 20th nationally in solar capacity installed.
- Vermont ranks 22nd nationally in cumulative installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 4,000 homes.
- In 2012, $19 million was invested in Vermont to install solar on homes and businesses. This represents a 249% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Vermont continue to fall--by 22% from last year. National prices have also dropped steadily--by 14% from last year and 31% since 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in Vermont
- Vermont Air National Guard Solar Farm in Burlington is a 1.45 MW photovoltaic project that came online in December 2011. This system cuts the facility’s annual electricity usage by 40%, saving the National Guard $250,000 annually.
- Talmage Solar Engineering completed a 2.2 MW photovoltaic plant in Sharon, VT in summer 2012. SunGen Sharon 1 uses 9,562 modules to produce enough electricity to power 440 of the 553 homes in Sharon. Electricity generated from the project has been purchased and is fed into the grid by Green Mountain Power under rates set by the Vermont Feed-In Tariff.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Vermont
There are currently more than 38 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Vermont. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 8 manufacturers, 5 manufacturing facilities, 15 contractor/installers, 7 distributors and 8 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.