The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry representing over 1,000 companies from across the world. Our mission is to build a strong solar industry to power America. We achieve that aim by supporting pro-solar policy at the federal and state level, developing cutting-edge industry research, and speaking as the voice of the solar industry to press and public.
At SEIA, our staff arrives every morning knowing that their work improves our country's energy independence and helps to revitalize our economy through the creation of more than 140,000 U.S. jobs. Headquartered in Washington D.C., SEIA also has offices in four cities around the country. Combining a strong sense of purpose and a great work environment has resulted in SEIA being selected as one of the “Best Non-Profits” to work for in America.
The VP of State Affairs serves as a member of SEIA’s executive leadership team, and plays a critical role in the success of SEIA and the growth of the solar industry as a whole. The VP of State Affairs oversees a team of staff and contractors in Washington, D.C. and key states, and is responsible for all state level activities. The VP of State Affairs is not required to be in Washington, D.C. and can be located in part of the country, but will be required to travel extensively. The VP of State Affairs reports to the President & CEO.
- Maintain and further develop SEIA’s role as the voice of the U.S. solar industry
- Support the President and CEO in execution of overall SEIA strategy.
- Develop and implement SEIA’s state affairs strategy to build strong state markets.
- Analyze state opportunities and threats to determine SEIA’s state-level goals, priority states, and legislative and regulatory approaches.
- Evaluate existing resources in states and how to leverage them.
- Advance key policy issues such as net metering and rate design, major demand-pull policies such as renewable portfolio standards, utility integrated resource planning, solar’s role in distribution grid modernization, and general education and outreach to policymakers on the benefits of solar energy.
- Work with other SEIA departments to integrate policy, communications, research, and events into state implementation plans.
- Manage a team of state personnel and supporting contractors, including managing a budget for all state activities.
- Coordinate all activities of the State Policy Committee (Board level).
- Manage state level committees.
- Serve as the primary SEIA representative and spokesperson for state issues, including representing the industry at key external events and within key external organizations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant external partners active at the state level.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of 7 years of applicable experience required.
- Strong track record of strategic planning, leadership, and team management in complex organizational structures.
- Experience building, developing, motivating, and overseeing a team with diverse skills/expertise so that all components deliver at a high level.
- Strong skills in developing and managing budgets.
- Demonstrated experience in or strong understanding of the electricity sector, and the renewable energy sector (preferred).
- Understanding of energy and environmental issues, such as procurement planning and renewable portfolio standards, grid management and interconnection, and net metering and rate design.
- Strong understanding of legislative and regulatory process, including experience working with the state legislatures, Governors’ offices, and public utility commissions.
- Significant experience coordinating policy action with other policy organizations
- Skilled and resourceful self-starter who can keep pace with the fast-moving solar industry business models.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to manage challenging and diverse views of members; drive to consensus.
- Ability to delegate among team members.
- Has funded and/or invested in policy and/or political programs and campaigns. Experience in advocacy campaigns and/or membership organizations (preferred).
- Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. Advanced degree preferred.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, résumé, references and 3 writing samples to email@example.com with “VP, State Affairs - 2014-3” included in the subject line. No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms. Positions are open until filled. SEIA is an equal opportunity employer. Learn more about SEIA at www.seia.org.