Established in 1974, the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the U.S. solar energy industry. Through advocacy and education, SEIA is building a strong solar industry to power America. Click here to learn more.
The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association for the solar and storage industries and represents nearly 1,000 member companies and 231,000 workers across the United States. SEIA is leading the transformation to a clean energy economy and is creating the framework for solar to achieve 30% of U.S. electricity generation by 2030. SEIA works with its member companies and strategic partners to fight for policies that create jobs in every community and shape fair market rules that promote competitive markets and the growth of reliable, low-cost solar power.
SEIA’s communications team is a central part of the organization’s advocacy efforts and strives to create exciting and engaging content that showcases the growing importance of clean energy in America. The Communications Intern will support the efforts of this fast-paced, award-winning team. The Communications Intern will gain valuable strategic communication and digital media skills that could help launch a career in clean energy and climate communications. The ideal candidate will be available 20-25 hours per week.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Curating Solar in the News, a daily round up of clean energy news hits for key members
- Creating the Weekly Array, SEIA’s weekly newsletter for interested stakeholders
- Content development and creation, to include blog posts, fact sheets, webpages, and other materials that showcase the importance of solar energy in America
- Support for the team’s public affairs activities, digital campaigns, and events
- Drafting social media posts and suggesting content for SEIA’s various social media channels, including LinkedIn, Instagram, and TikTok
- Website updates and maintenance
- Participating in calls and webinars
- Working knowledge of strategic communications and social media
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn digital platforms like Drupal, Salesforce, Eventbrite, and more
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Teamwork and flexibility
- Resourcefulness, organizational skills, and problem-solving abilities
- Working knowledge of the public policy process
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Video editing and graphic design skills are desired but not required
Undergraduate: Communications, Public Relations, Public Policy, Journalism, Environmental Studies, Political Science, American Studies or Media Studies, and other liberal arts majors that emphasize strategic communications, writing, and analysis.
Graduate: Strategic Communications or Communications, Public Policy or Public Administration, Political Management, Nonprofit Management, and more.
This position pays $18/hour. Start and end dates are flexible. For our internship Frequently Asked Questions, click here.
This position is 30 hours/week
Please submit a cover letter & resume with title “2022 Communications Intern.” Submissions that are in the form of a single Word or PDF document facilitate review and are preferred.
Please name all files using the following format: "name]_[document title, e.g. Resume]_SEIA." No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms.
Working at SEIA:
SEIA values diversity, inclusion and equity within our organization and the promotion of these values across the solar industry. We strive to welcome different perspectives, identities, and backgrounds, regardless of job function in order to create a more resilient organization that supports a strong, equitable solar industry. SEIA envisions an industry that is committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity. We aim to achieve this by encouraging openness and transparency about diversity issues and progress. We will develop strategies, programs, and tools that seek to equalize opportunities within SEIA and allow for discussing and sharing best practices within the solar industry.
SEIA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, homelessness, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. SEIA complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we employ staff. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.