Director of Storage Markets & Policy
The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry representing nearly 1,000 companies from around the world. Our mission is to build a strong solar industry to power America. We achieve that aim by supporting pro-solar policy at the federal and state level, developing cutting-edge industry research, and speaking as the voice of the solar industry to press and public.
At SEIA, our staff arrives every morning knowing that their work improves our country's energy independence, empowers our member businesses and strengthens our economy through the creation of more than 250,000 U.S. jobs. Combining a strong sense of purpose and a great work environment has resulted in SEIA being selected as one of the “Best Non-Profits” to work for in America.
As SEIA expands our advocacy and programmatic support for competitive deployment of energy storage on the grid, we are seeking a subject matter expert to bolster our capacity and support a variety of organizational functions. As the solar industry scales, opening and expanding competitive markets for energy storage technology, both distributed and grid-scale, will be tantamount to our success. SEIA is the only national advocate for independent power producers and other market participants seeking open competition for storage deployment, whether paired with solar and other clean energy technologies or as a standalone resource.
The Director of Storage Markets & Policy reports to the Vice President of State & Regulatory Affairs and will act as SEIA’s technical lead on the regulation and market dynamics for energy storage. The Director will advise the Congressional, State and Regulatory Affairs departments on policy design to optimize outcomes for energy storage companies, and provide expert testimony in regulatory and RTO proceedings. Successful candidates will understand both the business lens through which storage developers and providers operate, as well as the regulatory regimes that will impact long-term growth.
Core Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide technical support in RTO stakeholder proceedings, FERC proceedings and state regulatory proceedings (including expert witness testimony)
- Act as SEIA’s expert on technical aspects of interconnection and resource adequacy issues for storage for both behind-the-meter and utility scale markets
- Coordinate/collaborate with Technical Services teams on necessary installation rules, codes and standards requirements to realize advocacy wins
- Provide guidance and strategic insight to SEIA Executives on organizational planning and project development as it relates to solar + storage and standalone storage advocacy
- Advise the SEIA Membership Team in identifying and recruiting potential companies to engage in the association’s work on energy storage issues
- Manage technical consultants and lobbyists in relevant legislative or regulatory proceedings
- Developing and maintaining talking points and messaging for use by policy and communications staff
- A bachelor’s degree
- Degrees in technical areas are also welcomed to apply
- 3-7 years of experience in related fields and disciplines
- Technical understanding of energy storage systems
- Technical understanding of the U.S. electricity grid and how storage systems interact
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, for both expert and general audiences
- Basic understanding of storage and energy market opportunities, including value stacking, tradeoffs, DER aggregation, development, alignment with codes and standards, interconnection, and communications protocols
- Ability to translate technical issues to policymakers, through written testimony and oral presentations
- Ideal candidates will have prior experience either at a utility, a regulatory body, or a regional transmission organization or independent system operator
Work is in an office environment or in a remote-office environment that is suitably equipped with internet and telephone access
Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirement and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject “2021 Director of Storage Markets & Policy”. Submissions that are in the form of a single Word or PDF document facilitate review and are preferred.
Please name all files using the following format: "name]_[document title, e.g. Resume]_SEIA". No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms.
Working at SEIA
SEIA values diversity, inclusion and equity within our organization and the promotion of these values across the solar industry. We strive to welcome different perspectives, identities, and backgrounds, regardless of job function in order to create a more resilient organization that supports a strong, equitable solar industry. SEIA envisions an industry that is committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity. We aim to achieve this by encouraging openness and transparency about diversity issues and progress. We will develop strategies, programs, and tools that seek to equalize opportunities within SEIA and allow for discussing and sharing best practices within the solar industry.
SEIA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SEIA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we employ staff. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
SEIA expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Learn more about SEIA at www.seia.org.