The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), Converge and SunPower are convening a panel discussion the morning of Monday, July 22, 2019. The breakfast event will be held on-site at the JW Marriott Indianapolis in Griffin Hall.
Severe weather, cybersecurity, and physical threats to electricity delivery have heightened awareness of the vulnerability of the nation’s electric system and highlight the need for greater grid resilience. These developments, when coupled with falling costs for distributed solar power and energy storage, are creating new business opportunities for the expansion of distributed generation, grid modernization technologies, and microgrids. Although it is clear that distributed energy resources can contribute to a more resilient and secure electric grid, it is unclear how to determine the value of those benefits. This breakfast will explore new research by NARUC, along with Converge Strategies, that reviews methodologies to quantify the value of energy resilience, particularly as it relates to investments in distributed energy resources, and examine why DERs, such as microgrids, solar photovoltaics and batteries, offer new avenues for achieving sustained resilience.
The breakfast will run from 7:30am - 8:45am, with the panel discussion beginning at 7:45am.
Topics will Include:
- The definitions of resilience and reliability
- Resilience benefits of distributed solar and other DERs
- Approaches to valuing resilience for DERs
- Resilient DER policies and programs at the state level
- How regulators can adopt or improve value of resilience methods to support their decisions
- Moderator: Sean Gallagher, Vice President of State Affairs, SEIA
- Wilson Rickerson, Principal, Converge Strategies
- Tom Starrs, Vice President, Market Strategy and Policy, SunPower
- Sally Talberg, Chairman, Michigan Public Service Commission
For additional information about the panel discussion, please contact Ty Hallmark of SEIA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: This event is not sponsored by NARUC nor is it a part of the meeting agenda.