External Affairs Internship
Established in 1974, the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the U.S. solar energy industry. Through advocacy and education, SEIA is building a strong solar industry to power America. Click here to learn more.
The External Affairs Intern will gain valuable skills looking for a career in industry stakeholder outreach and coalition building. EA Interns report to the Director of External Affairs, who is responsible for SEIA’s collaboration with other trade groups, professional organizations, state affiliates and others across the country. The department works to identify opportunities for SEIA to collaborate on research, events, lobbying, and any other activities of mutual interest.
In addition, the EA department leads SEIA’s Community Engagement Working Group, which presents an opportunity for SEIA members interested in environmental justice, education, and other corporate social responsibility initiatives to collaborate on projects as an industry.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Researching potential partners in states across the country
- Performing outreach to potential partners – a great opportunity to gain exposure to many different industries
- Assisting internal working groups on diversity, women’s empowerment, and other initiatives
- Coordinating meetings for External Affairs Director with potential partners
- Coordinating supplies, schedules, agendas, travel schedules, etc.
- The intern will also assist SEIA’s Office of the General Counsel with its consumer protection outreach efforts
- Creative problem solver
- Highly motivated self-starter who is flexible
- Organized with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Ability to work with a diverse set of individuals
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience with formatting
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
This position is 20-30 hours/week, depending on candidate’s schedule. All majors are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Dana Sleeper at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “External Affairs Fall Intern.”
This position pays DC minimum wage. Start and end dates are flexible. For our internship Frequently Asked Questions, click here.
Working at SEIA
SEIA values diversity, inclusion and equity within our organization and the promotion of these values across the solar industry. We strive to welcome different perspectives, identities, and backgrounds, regardless of job function in order to create a more resilient organization that supports a strong, equitable solar industry. SEIA envisions an industry that is committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity. We aim to achieve this by encouraging openness and transparency about diversity issues and progress. We will develop strategies, programs, and tools that seek to equalize opportunities within SEIA and allow for discussing and sharing best practices within the solar industry.