Manager & Counsel, Federal Regulatory Affairs
The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry representing nearly 1,000 companies from around the world. Our mission is to build a strong solar industry to power America. We achieve that aim by supporting pro-solar policy at the federal and state level, developing cutting-edge industry research, and speaking as the voice of the solar industry to press and public.
At SEIA, our staff arrives every morning knowing that their work improves our country's energy independence, cleans our air and water, and strengthens our economy through the creation of more than 200,000 U.S. jobs. Combining a strong sense of purpose and a great work environment has resulted in SEIA being selected as one of the “Best Non-Profits” to work for in America.
The Manager of Federal Regulatory Affairs is responsible for the development and implementation of SEIA’s policies and positions and execution of solar + storage policy goals at federal agencies including FERC, DOE, EPA, and Interior and in Regional Transmission Organizations (RTOs). Energy markets, transmission & interconnection, land use and related environmental policies are critical arenas for the organization and its member companies. The Manager develops policy positions in conjunction with SEIA members and staff, drafts regulatory filings, and conducts direct advocacy. The position reports to the Director of Regulatory Affairs, who reports to the VP of State and Regulatory Affairs.
The Manager of Regulatory Affairs:
- Represents SEIA regarding energy, natural resources, and environmental policy matters of importance to the solar industry before federal Executive Branch agencies and Regional Transmission Organizations.
- Coordinates and motivates SEIA members and coalition partners in multiple venues to advance SEIA’s policy objectives at federal energy and environmental agencies.
- Develops and maintains relationships with relevant agency staff and others involved in the policymaking process, and conducts direct advocacy with the Administration.
- May draft regulatory filings and legal pleadings on behalf of the organization for submission in RTO, regulatory, and court proceedings.
- Collaborates with SEIA’s Communications team, Federal Affairs staff, and SEIA members to formulate talking points and incorporate communications strategy into SEIA’s advocacy initiatives.
- Produces written materials in support of SEIA’s advocacy and regulatory efforts.
- Communicates with SEIA members, organizes committee and working group activities, and responds to member company inquiries.
- Attends meetings and briefings on behalf of the Association, providing summaries and analyses of proceedings and alerting VPs of important issues and deadlines.
- Supports the conferences and tradeshows SEIA organizes through panel participation, content generation, speaker identification, and on-site staffing of the conferences.
Professional Experience, Education and Other Qualifications
SEIA is seeking a dynamic individual to join our Federal Affairs team. Qualified candidates will possess:
- A bachelor’s and in political science, or other public policy discipline. A law degree is preferred but not required. Experience drafting regulatory filings is required.
- 3 – 5 years of public policy or regulatory advocacy experience, including at least 2 years working in an executive branch agency or in the Congress.
- Experience working with FERC, DOE, Interior, and/or Treasury Department.
- An open-minded and creative approach to regulatory advocacy, with coalition-building skills to leverage like-minded organizations and situational allies.
- The ability to work directly with SEIA members, with excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written communication skills and the proven ability to draft rulemaking or other comments on behalf of a client.
- The ability to work effectively in a collaborative, team environment.
- A strong work ethic and cheerful customer-service attitude in order to thrive in our fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Work is in an office environment
- May be occasionally required to stand, walk or reach with arms
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Manager of Federal Regulatory Affairs 2021.” Submissions that are in the form of a single Word or PDF document facilitate review and are strongly preferred. Please name all files using the following format: [applicant name]_[document title, e.g. Resume]_Fed Reg Manager.
No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms.
SEIA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, and a woman’s right to breastfeed), disability (physical or mental), age (18 and older), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, political affiliation, marital status, veteran or military status, tobacco use, credit information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.