Manager, SolarAPP+ Outreach
The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry representing nearly 1,000 companies from around the world. Our mission is to build a strong solar industry to power America. We achieve that aim by supporting pro-solar policy at the federal and state level, developing cutting-edge industry research, and speaking as the voice of the solar industry to press and public.
At SEIA, our staff arrives every morning knowing that their work improves our country's energy independence, empowers our member businesses and strengthens our economy through the creation of more than 250,000 U.S. jobs. Combining a strong sense of purpose and a great work environment has resulted in SEIA being selected as one of the “Best Non-Profits” to work for in America.
This role is specifically intended to strengthen and maintain market, technical, and outreach activities that directly benefit the distributed generation segment of the solar industry. This role will expand SEIA’s reach to the many local solar and services companies, providing direct engagement for current and future support of SEIA’s federal, state, and holistic industry activities.
This role will work in directly with SEIA’s Technical Services, Markets & Research, and other SEIA leadership, and work directly with the SolarAPP coalition teams to build strong relationships with local jurisdictions (cities and counties) including their building departments and city leadership, to present, propose and implement the SolarAPP software tool. This role reports to the Vice President of Technical Services.
This role will collaborate with the SolarAPP coalition team to support, build, and collaborate with state affiliates and local solar associations to determine which localities provide the widest market potential, to contact the governmental decision-makers, and to gain agreement from those jurisdictions to adopt SolarAPP. These efforts will also include working with the SolarAPP coalition to develop an outreach plan and calendar, to provide input and feedback on SolarAPP marketing tools and communications, and to provide feedback from the outreach effort back to the SolarAPP teams. This position is dependent upon a Department of Energy grant-funded project which is currently expected to last at least one year. At that time, consideration will be given to extending the contract based upon potentially extended funding.
Similarly, this position will collaborate with other SEIA staff, including communications, marketing and events, and policy teams to help ensure concurrence on policy priorities, to design and execute direct campaign outreach programs to targeted local jurisdictions, and to see adoption opportunities through to the desired outcome.
Core Duties & Responsibilities
- SolarAPP+ outreach management – Serve as SEIA’s main representative in the effort to extend the adoption of the automated solar permitting tool by:
- Utilizing SEIA’s market research and technical services knowledge, identify and propose a prioritized outreach strategy at the state level that aligns with the SolarAPP coalition team priorities; the output of this process will be specific, detailed plans.
- Working with SEIA’s state affiliates, state/local solar organizations, and strategic partners, identify and engage with local or regional decision-makers to introduce the SolarAPP platform.
- Engage in the opportunity development process including contacting jurisdictions, providing initial information on the tool, giving demonstrations of the tool, providing needed SolarAPP+ and market information, and other activities until a decision regarding adoption is reached.
- Collaborate with SEIA’s state policy team on campaigns or programs that directly incent the adoption of SolarAPP.
- Report to SEIA leadership and the SolarAPP coalition on outreach efforts as part of the grant roadmap and adoption objectives.
- Build and strengthen relationships with SEIA state affiliates and local solar organizations, and their member companies to establish connections to SEIA’s national expertise in codes & standards, ratemaking, research, circular economy, product lifecycle/recycling, interconnection, and more, to grow SEIA’s membership potential.
- Working with SEIA’s membership team, make introductions to potential new members, create support materials for and to share SolarAPP benefits and current outreach programs.
- Be a resource for SolarAPP program expertise at SEIA federal, state, or other networking opportunities.
Professional Experience, Education & Other Qualifications
SEIA is seeking a dynamic individual to join our Technical Services team. Qualified candidates with possess:
- A bachelor’s degree and preferably an advanced degree in political science, law, business, or public policy discipline. Degrees in technical areas are also welcomed to apply.
- 3-5 years of business development, market development, or sales experience, preferably on a national scale and / or leading coordination of sales or similar development campaigns on behalf of their organization.
- Experience in distributed generation solar is strongly preferred.
- An open-minded and creative approach to opportunity development that leads to expected results, with coalition-building skills to leverage like-minded organizations and situational allies.
- The ability to work directly with SEIA members, state and local solar associations, and solar supporters at a campaign-level with excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written communication skills and the proven ability to utilize presentation skills, inperson and virtual, to gain business or acceptance.
- The strong ability to work effectively in a collaborative, team environment.
- May require travel.
- This position is dependent upon a Department of Energy grant-funded project which is currently expected to last at least one year. At that time, consideration will be given to extending the contract based upon potentially extended funding.
- Work is in an office environment or in a remote-office environment that is suitably equipped with internet and telephone access
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Manager, SolarAPP+ Outreach (2021).” Submissions that are in the form of a single Word or PDF document facilitate review and are preferred. Please name all files using the following format: “[name]_[document title, e.g. Resume]_SEIA
No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms. SEIA is an equal opportunity employer. Learn more about SEIA at www.seia.org.
Working at SEIA
SEIA values diversity, inclusion and equity within our organization and the promotion of these values across the solar industry. We strive to welcome different perspectives, identities, and backgrounds, regardless of job function in order to create a more resilient organization that supports a strong, equitable solar industry. SEIA envisions an industry that is committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity. We aim to achieve this by encouraging openness and transparency about diversity issues and progress. We will develop strategies, programs, and tools that seek to equalize opportunities within SEIA and allow for discussing and sharing best practices within the solar industry.
SEIA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SEIA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we employ staff. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
SEIA expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Learn more about SEIA at www.seia.org.