Northeast Regional Director
The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry representing nearly 1,000 companies from around the world. Our mission is to build a strong solar industry to power America. We achieve that aim by supporting pro-solar policy at the federal and state level, developing cutting-edge industry research, and speaking as the voice of the solar industry to press and public.
At SEIA, our staff arrives every morning knowing that their work improves our country's energy independence, empowers our member businesses and strengthens our economy through the creation of more than 250,000 U.S. jobs. Combining a strong sense of purpose and a great work environment has resulted in SEIA being selected as one of the “Best Non-Profits” to work for in America in 2022.
The Northeast Regional Director is responsible for the development and implementation of SEIA’s policies and positions in the dynamic and growing solar markets in the Northeast. The position reports to the Vice President of State & Regulatory Affairs, and will work in close collaboration with other SEIA departments including Research, Communications and Membership.
The ideal candidate should have the desire and demeanor to build a strong network within the solar and clean energy industries and will have had professional exposure to energy policy and/or markets, and be familiar with enabling technologies such as storage, demand response, distribution management systems and electric vehicles. The successful candidate must be able to build relationships and be a natural collaborator. He or she is able to manage project teams effectively and facilitate dialogue with both internal and external colleagues.
Core Duties & Responsibilities
Candidates will have with experience with the regulatory and legislative processes in the region, in the traditional or renewable energy sector.
- Oversees regulatory & legislative activity in SEIA priority states in the Northeast, with a particular focus on New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.
- Drafts regulatory filings.
- Manage SEIA Northeast Committee, and day-to-day activities in collaboration with company leads. This includes facilitating regular calls/meetings with SEIA members.
- Participates in legislative/lobbying initiatives.
- Works with outside counsel, contract lobbyists and technical consultants as needed.
- Collaborates with local and regional trade associations, SEIA state affiliates, other stakeholders and parties, consultants, etc.
- Participates as available/necessary in other states and overall SEIA activities as time permits.
- The candidate will need to be comfortable working out of home or other suitable space.
- May include supervision of other regional staff, depending on the candidate.
Professional Experience, Education & Other Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- 5 - 7 years of experience in a solar, energy, advocacy or related fields.
- Regulatory experience in the region is preferred and legislative experience is a plus.
- Preference given to candidates with demonstrated experience in electricity/utility/renewables/generation sectors.
- Ability to travel, primarily in-region.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to manage challenging and diverse views of member companies.
- Self-starter – can work independently and remotely.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and is able to perceive when to lead and when to build consensus.
Work is in a remote-office environment
$105,000 - $135,000 annually, based on experience
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to [email protected] with the subject “2022 Northeast Regional Director.” Submissions that are in the form of a single Word or PDF document facilitate review and are preferred.
Please name all files using the following format: "name]_[document title, e.g. Resume]_SEIA." No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms.
Working at SEIA
SEIA values diversity, inclusion and equity within our organization and the promotion of these values across the solar industry. We strive to welcome different perspectives, identities, and backgrounds, regardless of job function in order to create a more resilient organization that supports a strong, equitable solar industry. SEIA envisions an industry that is committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity. We aim to achieve this by encouraging openness and transparency about diversity issues and progress. We will develop strategies, programs, and tools that seek to equalize opportunities within SEIA and allow for discussing and sharing best practices within the solar industry.
SEIA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SEIA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we employ staff. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.