Denver Solar Fact Sheet
Denver Aggregate Data
- 129 solar companies in the Denver metro area, including 38 within city limits
- 6 manufacturing facilities throughout the solar supply chain in the metro area
- More than 14 MW of installed solar PV capacity in metro area
- More than 223 solar PV installations with a combined capacity of over 11.4 MW within the Denver city limits
- At least 35 solar installations within a 3 mile radius of the debate site
- Enough solar energy online in the Denver metro area to power over 2,500 homes
Colorado Aggregate Data
- More than 210 companies operating at 260 locations
- 11 total manufacturing facilities throughout the solar supply chain
- 2 new manufacturing facilities online since 2010
- 91 MW installed solar power in 2011, ranked 5th in the U.S.
- 239 MW installed cumulative to date, ranked 4th in the U.S.
- Enough solar energy online in Colorado to power over 43,000 homes
- 10,741 total solar photovoltaic installations
View more Colorado solar facts>>
Additional Denver Solar Info
- From SEIA’s corporate solar report:
- Khol’s has 10 solar PV installations in the Denver metro area, generating over 1.1 MW of clean solar energy
- IKEA has a large 498 kW installation in the Denver area
- REI has 4 installations in the Denver area, totaling 277 kW
- From the Utility-Scale Database:
- Three separate installations totaling more than 8 MW are located at the Denver International Airport- giving the airport more solar capacity than any other airport in the US. The project was developed by Denver’s Oak Leaf Energy Partners, and is operated by Constellation Energy.
- Manufacturing Facilities
- Denver is home to SMA Solar’s 180,000 square foot inverter manufacturing facility, where they employ 260. German-based SMA is the largest inverter manufacturer in the world
- BIPV manufacturer Ascent Solar Technologies has a facility in Thornton with multiple production lines and 30 MW of capacity. The thin-film manufacturer recently announced a shift in focus to solar smart phone and device chargers and has since seen rapid growth in market value.
- Other News
- Solarize Benefits Colorado- buying power of employees at local, state and federal offices is pooled to lower cost (up to 20%) of installing solar for those participating in the program.
- Xcel energy recently announced a Solar Gardens program that allows customers in the utility’s territory that can’t put solar on their home to buy or lease a portion of a common solar field. The program has proved to be extremely popular.
Solar Companies Operating in Denver
From the National Solar Database.
Antares Group, Inc.
Broomhall Brothers, Inc.
Clean Energy Engineering
E.ON Climate & Renewables North America, LLC
Earth and Sky Architecture
EDF Renewable Energy (formerly enXco)
Go Green Electric, Inc.
Hackstaff Gessler, LLC
HomeSmart from Xcel Energy
HT Solar Power (Highway Technologies)
Mountain Muse Communications
Oak Leaf Energy Partners
PCL Construction Inc.
Real Goods Solar, Inc
SAIC Energy, Environment, & Infrastructure, LLC
SALT Electric, LLC
Sheffield Metals International
Smiley Electric, Inc
Solar Electric Distributor
Solar Energy, LLC
Solar Solutions and Distribution
Thames Electric Co. Inc
Wala Solar, Inc.
Zocalo Community Development