The Colorado solar market, with over 300 sunny days per year, has tremendous potential for solar expansion. Colorado was one of the first states in the US to have a Renewable Energy Standard. There are multiple solar programs in Colorado, including programs for rooftop solar, community solar and utility solar. SEIA is engaged in legislative and regulatory discussions to encourage renewable energy growth and deployment.
View more solar industry data.
SEIA Colorado State Policy Priorities
- Defend the Colorado Renewable Energy Standard.
- Support policies that to promote fair solar access, including permitting, interconnection and tax assessment.
- Support policies to encourage Solar Heating and Cooling technologies.
- Ensure transparency in and maximum opportunity within the Xcel Energy's Solar*Rewards Program.
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
Notable Solar Installations in Colorado
- Comanche Solar was completed in 2016. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 120 MW of electricity -- enough to power over 24,082 Colorado homes.6
- Several large retailers in Colorado have gone solar including Albertsons, General Growth Properties and IKEA. IKEA has installed one of the largest such installations with 1 MW of solar capacity at their location in Centennial.6
- At 50 MW, Hooper Solar Project in San Luis Valley is among the largest solar installations in Colorado. This project has enough electric capacity to power more than 10,034 homes.7
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Colorado
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Colorado State Energy Office – Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Colorado State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Colorado
Colorado Public Utilities Commisssion – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of California public utilities
DSIRE Incentives Database - Colorado – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Colorado and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Colorado State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government
EnergySage Solar Data Explorer – Colorado – Review the costs and benefits of installing solar panels in Colorado, based on real price data from solar quotes.
1All data from SEIA/GTM Research U.S. Solar Market Insight unless otherwise noted: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/us-solar-market-insight
2Energy Information Administration, Electric Power Monthly: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/#generation
3The Solar Foundation, State Solar Jobs Census: http://www.thesolarfoundation.org/solar-jobs-census/states/
4SEIA, National Solar Database: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/national-solar-database
5SEIA, Major Solar Projects List: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
7SEIA, Solar Means Business: http://www.seia.org/campaign/solar-means-business-2016