Colorado, with over 300 sunny days per year, has tremendous solar potential and was one of the first states in the U.S. to have a Renewable Energy Standard. There are multiple solar programs in Colorado for rooftop solar, community solar and utility-scale solar. SEIA is engaged in legislative and regulatory discussions to encourage renewable energy growth and deployment.
View more solar industry data.
SEIA Colorado State Policy Priorities
- SEIA & COSSA continued to leverage resources to share a lobbyist and regulatory attorney to expand solar access and increase solar penetration in Colorado.
- SEIA has consistently advocated for solar + storage in Colorado, with testimony in the CO RES plan, stakeholder discussions with Xcel, and with additional Commission filings.
For more information on SEIA's work in Colorado, please contact Sara Birmingham.
Notable Solar Installations in Colorado
- Bighorn Solar in Pueblo was developed by Lightsource bp and came online in 2021. This 300 MW project produces enough electricity to power 60,678 homes.6
- Target, Walmart, and Amazon have all gone solar in Colorado. Amazon's 6 MW DEN3 project in Aurora is one of the largest corporate projects in the state. 6
- At 150 MW, Comanche Solar in Pueblo is among the largest solar installations in Colorado. Completed by Community Energy in 2016, this solar project has enough electric capacity to power more than 30,339 homes.7
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in Colorado
Looking for a local installer? Use SolarReviews to get company reviews and estimates for solar in your area. You can also view the average costs for installing solar in Colorado, based on real price data from installed systems and solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
If you're looking for information about local solar companies, check out EnergySage's list of solar companies in Colorado, where you can check out information about each company and see real customer reviews.
Colorado State Solar Policy Resources
Colorado State Energy Office – Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Colorado State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Colorado
Colorado Public Utilities Commisssion – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of California public utilities
DSIRE Incentives Database - Colorado – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Colorado and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Colorado State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government