Florida, “the sunshine state,” ranks third in the nation for rooftop solar potential, but all the way down at 12th for cumulative solar capacity installed. Florida’s solar policies lag behind many other states in the nation: it has no renewable portfolio standard and does not allow power purchase agreements, two policies that have driven investments in solar in other states.
Facts on the Florida Solar Industry
• Solar Installed: 785.0 MW (404.7 MW in 2016)1
• National Ranking: 12th (9th in 2016)2
• State Homes Powered by Solar: 86,000
• Percentage of State’s Electricity from Solar: 0.36%2
• Solar Jobs and Ranking: 8,260 (5th in 2016)3
• Solar Companies in State: 499 companies total; 69 Manufacturers, 268 Installers/Developers, 153 Others4
• Total Solar Investment in State: $2,020.46 million ($523.64 million in 2016)
• Price Declines: 55% over last 5 years
• Growth Projections and Ranking: 3,615 MW over next 5 years (ranks 4th)
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Florida
- Martin Next Generation Solar Energy Center was completed in 2010. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 75 MW of electricity -- enough to power over 8,216 Florida homes.5
- Several large retailers in Florida have gone solar including 6th Street, Ace Hardware Bronson and AMJ, Inc. General Growth Properties has installed one of the largest such installations with 1 MW of solar capacity at their location in Altamonte Springs.6
- At 1 MW, TIA Solar in Tampa is among the largest solar installations in Florida. Completed in 2016, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 175 homes.7
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Florida
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Florida Public Service Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Florida public utilities
Florida State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Florida
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Florida Energy Consortium - Assists the state in the development and implementation of an environmentally compatible, sustainable, and efficient energy strategic plan
DSIRE Incentives Database Florida - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Florida and across the United States.
U.S. Energy Information Administration- Florida State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government
EnergySage Solar Data Explorer – Florida – Review the costs and benefits of installing solar panels in Florida, based on real price data from solar quotes.
1All data from SEIA/GTM Research U.S. Solar Market Insight unless otherwise noted: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/us-solar-market-insight
2Energy Information Administration, Electric Power Monthly: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/#generation
3The Solar Foundation, State Solar Jobs Census: http://www.thesolarfoundation.org/solar-jobs-census/states/
4SEIA, National Solar Database: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/national-solar-database
5SEIA, Major Solar Projects List: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
7SEIA, Solar Means Business: http://www.seia.org/campaign/solar-means-business-2016