Illinois is a growing solar market that has benefited a strong renewable portfolio standard that requires they generate 25% of their energy from renewable sources by 2025. The amount of solar capacity installed in Illinois is expected to grow by more than 1,700% over the next five years.
View more solar industry data.
SEIA Illinois State Solar Policy Priorities
- Ensure implementation of the Adjustable Block Program around vendor requirements, consumer protection, standard contracts and marketing materials.
- Drive improvements in the 2019 renewable procurement plan and push for interconnection reform.
- Develop and advocate for proposals for post-NEM compensation structures.
- Ensure successful implementation of the Solar For All program, including a workforce development component
- Monitor and steer University of Illinois researchers' work on PV recycling toward information gathering and level setting.
- Engage in legislative issues, including nuclear bailout funding, Vistra coal bailout proposal, rate design and other proposals from ComEd, and improvements to and extension of the RPS.
Recent Policy Highlights
Working with ISEA and member companies, SEIA introduced the "Path to 100" HB2966/SB 1781, which increases the RPS from 25% by 2025 to 40% by 2030 and increases REC procurement from 10 million by 2020 to 45 million by 2030 with 50/50 split from solar and wind.
For more information on SEIA's work in Illinois, please contact Nakhia Morrissette.
Notable Solar Installations in Illinois
- Grand Ridge Solar Plant was completed in 2012. The photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 20 MW of electricity -- enough to power over 3,0777 Illinois homes.5
- IKEA & Walmart have both gone solar, IKEA has installed a 1 MW project at their location in Bolingbrook.6
- At 3 MW, Rockford Solar Project in Rockford is among the largest solar installations in Illinois. Completed in 2012, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 470 homes.7
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in Illinois
Looking for a local installer? Use SolarReviews to get company reviews and estimates for solar in your area. You can also view the average costs for installing solar in Illinois, based on real price data from installed systems and solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Illinois State Solar Resources
Illinois Commerce Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Illinois public utilities
Illinois State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Illinois
Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database Illinois - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Illinois and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Illinois State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government