The Massachusetts market is shaped by net metering and a renewable portfolio standard with a solar goal, along with an accompanying SREC market. The Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) program was approved in 2018 and has the potential to drive significant solar deployment in the state, and act as a template for other states to follow.
View more solar data.
SEIA Massachusetts State Policy Priorities
- Ensure that the SMART program rolls out effectively and fix lingering issues with implementation during the regulatory review.
- Block bad utility minimum monthly reliability contribution proposals in upcoming utility regulatory proceedings.
For more information on SEIA's work in Massachusetts, please contact Dave Gahl.
Notable Solar Installations in Massachusetts
- The Barnstable Municipal Airport array was completed in 2015. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 6.9 MW of electricity -- enough to power over 1,133 Massachusetts homes.5
- Several large retailers in Massachusetts have gone solar including Bed Bath and Beyond, Boston Scientific and FedEx. General Growth Properties has installed one of the largest such installations with 2 MW of solar capacity at their location in Natick.6
- At 3 MW, 100 Meadow Solar in Boston is among the largest solar installations in Massachusetts. This project has enough electric capacity to power more than 649 homes.7
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in Massachusetts
Looking for a local installer? Use SolarReviews to get company reviews and estimates for solar in your area. You can also view the average costs for installing solar in Massachusetts, based on real price data from installed systems and solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Massachusetts State Solar Policy Resources
Department of Public Utilities - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Massachusetts public utilities
Department of Energy Resources - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Massachusetts
Massachusetts Clean Energy Center - Learn about the state agency dedicated solely to facilitating the development of the clean energy industry
DSIRE incentives database - Massachusetts - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Massachusetts and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Massachusetts State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government