The Massachusetts market is driven by net metering and a renewable portfolio standard with a solar goal along with an accompanying SREC market. Net metering caps do not align with program goals, and the legislature has had to act several times to raise the net metering caps. The Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources is working on implementing a successor to the successful SREC program, and once again, net metering caps have been reached in certain utility territories.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Massachusetts
- The Barnstable Municipal Airport array was completed in 2015. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 6.9 MW of electricity -- enough to power over 1,133 Massachusetts homes.5
- Several large retailers in Massachusetts have gone solar including Bed Bath and Beyond, Boston Scientific and FedEx. General Growth Properties has installed one of the largest such installations with 2 MW of solar capacity at their location in Natick.6
- At 3 MW, 100 Meadow Solar in Boston is among the largest solar installations in Massachusetts. This project has enough electric capacity to power more than 649 homes.7
See our solar installations maps.
SEIA Massachusetts State Policy Priorities
- Lift the net metering caps.
- Codify the 1.6GW solar goal and identify the most appropriate incentive regime to achieve the goal.
Solar Companies in Massachusetts
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Massachusetts State Solar Policy Resources
Department of Public Utilities - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Massachusetts public utilities
Department of Energy Resources - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Massachusetts
Massachusetts Clean Energy Center - Learn about the state agency dedicated solely to facilitating the development of the clean energy industry
DSIRE incentives database - Massachusetts - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Massachusetts and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Massachusetts State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government
EnergySage Solar Data Explorer – Massachusetts – Review the costs and benefits of installing solar panels in Massachusetts, based on real price data from solar quotes.
1All data from SEIA/GTM Research U.S. Solar Market Insight unless otherwise noted: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/us-solar-market-insight
2Energy Information Administration, Electric Power Monthly: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/#generation
3The Solar Foundation, State Solar Jobs Census: http://www.thesolarfoundation.org/solar-jobs-census/states/
4SEIA, National Solar Database: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/national-solar-database
5SEIA, Major Solar Projects List: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
7SEIA, Solar Means Business: http://www.seia.org/campaign/solar-means-business-2016