With numerous utility-scale, residential and commercial solar projects, Nevada has been a top state for solar opportunity. While the Public Utility Commission of Nevada changed the net metering policy offered to solar customers in Nevada, which slowed down solar deployment, in 2017 the Nevada legislature voted to resurrect net metering. SEIA is working in Nevada to establish policies to promote new solar growth for all sectors of the industry and create a sustainable market with transparent policies. .
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Nevada
- Copper Mountain 3 in Boulder City was completed in 2015 by developer First Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 250 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 41,030 Nevada homes.5
- Several large retailers in Nevada have gone solar including Apple, General Growth Properties and IKEA. Apple has installed one of the largest such installations with 22 MW of solar capacity at their location in Churchill.6
- At 110 MW, Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project in Tonopah is among the largest solar installations in Nevada. Completed in 2014, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 18,053 homes.7
See our solar installations maps.
SEIA Nevada State Policy Priorities
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
- Expand DG opportunity through the Solar Generations program (implementation of AB 428).
- Ensure fair and transparent rules for utility-scale solicitations (implementation of SB 123).
- Support the state renewable portfolio standard.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure that a transition to Energy Choice includes access to renewable energy
Solar Companies in Nevada
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Nevada State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Nevada Public Utilities Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Nevada public utilities
Nevada Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Nevada
DSIRE incentives database - Nevada - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Nevada and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Nevada State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government
EnergySage Solar Data Explorer – Nevada – Review the costs and benefits of installing solar panels in Nevada, based on real price data from solar quotes.
1All data from SEIA/GTM Research U.S. Solar Market Insight unless otherwise noted: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/us-solar-market-insight
2Energy Information Administration, Electric Power Monthly: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/#generation
3The Solar Foundation, State Solar Jobs Census: http://www.thesolarfoundation.org/solar-jobs-census/states/
4SEIA, National Solar Database: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/national-solar-database
5SEIA, Major Solar Projects List: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
7SEIA, Solar Means Business: http://www.seia.org/campaign/solar-means-business-2016