New Jersey Solar
New Jersey has been an early leader in solar and perennial top ten solar state. The New Jersey Solar market continues to be see strong growth and is driven by net metering, a solar RPS and an accompanying SREC market.
View more solar industry data.
SEIA New Jersey State Solar Policy Priorities
- Establish interim successor incentive program to the current SREC program and set up the path to a long-term incentive program
- Help expand the size of the community solar pilot and relax some of the land-use restrictions on large-scale solar.
Recent Policy Highlights
- SEIA helped double the size of the Year 2 Community Solar PILOT to 150 megawatts, as well as secure program reforms to aid with implementation.
- SEIA successfully advocated for major improvements on the design of the transitional incentive (TREC) proposal which were approved by the Board of Public Utilities (BPU). Transition incentive levels for all the major market segments were increased based on industry feedback.
- SEIA was also nominated to serve on Governor Murphy’s COVID Restart and Recovery Advisory Council.
For more information on SEIA's work in New Jersey, please contact Dave Gahl.
Notable Solar Installations in New Jersey
- Toms River in Tom's River was developed by EDF Renewables and came online in 2021. This 28.9 MW project produces enough electricity to power 5,045 homes.
- Prologis, Hartz Mountain Industries, and Amazon have all gone solar in New Jersey. Hartz's 8.5 MW project in Hamilton is one of the largest corporate solar projects in the state.
- At 28 MW, Ben Moreel Solar Farm in Tinton Falls is among the largest solar installations in New Jersey. Completed by CS Energy in 2020, this solar project has enough electric capacity to power more than 4,888 homes.
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in New Jersey
Looking for a local installer? Use SolarReviews to get company reviews and estimates for solar in your area. You can also view the average costs for installing solar in New Jersey, based on real price data from installed systems and solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
If you're looking for information about local solar companies, check out EnergySage's list of solar companies in New Jersey, where you can check out information about each company and see real customer reviews.
New Jersey State Solar Policy Resources
DSIRE incentives database - New Jersey - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in New Jersey and across the United States
New Jersey Board of Public Utilities - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of New Jersey public utilities
New Jersey's Clean Energy Program - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
New Jersey State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in
U.S. Energy Information Administration - New Jersey State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government