New Jersey Solar
New Jersey has been an early leader in solar and perennial top ten solar state. The New Jersey Solar market continues to be strong and is driven by net metering, a solar RPS and an accompanying SREC market.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Solar Installations in New Jersey
- Pilesgrove Solar Project was completed in 2015 by developer Con Edison and Panda Energy. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 18 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 2,796 New Jersey homes.5
- Several large retailers in New Jersey have gone solar including Anheuser-Busch, Ashley Plaza and AT&T. Berry Plastics Corporation has installed one of the largest such installations with 14 MW of solar capacity at their location in Phillipsburg.6
- At 10 MW, L&D Landfill Solar in Mt. Holly is among the largest solar installations in New Jersey. This project has enough electric capacity to power more than 1,553 homes.7
See our solar installations maps.
SEIA New Jersey State Solar Policy Priorities
SEIA is working with the legislature and other stakeholders to guarantee continued solar growth in the state even with forecasts showing a flattening demand for energy. We are:
- Advocating for an SREC reform bill that will ensure solar market growth through energy year 2020, while at the same time closing out the current SREC program;
- Helping to design the next generation of solar incentive programs in NJ; and
- Advocating for legislation to open New Jersey to community shared solar.
Solar Companies in New Jersey
There are currently more than 480 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in New Jersey. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 64 manufacturers, 17 manufacturing facilities, 275 contractor/installers, 38 project developers, 18 distributors and 85 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
New Jersey State Solar Policy Resources
New Jersey Board of Public Utilities - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of New Jersey public utilities
New Jersey State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in
New Jersey's Clean Energy Program - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database - New Jersey - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in New Jersey and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - New Jersey State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government
EnergySage Solar Data Explorer – New Jersey – Review the costs and benefits of installing solar panels in New Jersey, based on real price data from solar quotes.
1All data from SEIA/GTM Research U.S. Solar Market Insight unless otherwise noted: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/us-solar-market-insight
2Energy Information Administration, Electric Power Monthly: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/#generation
3The Solar Foundation, State Solar Jobs Census: http://www.thesolarfoundation.org/solar-jobs-census/states/
4SEIA, National Solar Database: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/national-solar-database
5SEIA, Major Solar Projects List: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
7SEIA, Solar Means Business: http://www.seia.org/campaign/solar-means-business-2016=>