New Jersey Solar
New Jersey has been an early leader in solar and perennial top ten solar state. The New Jersey Solar market continues to be strong and is driven by net metering, a solar RPS and an accompanying SREC market.
View more solar industry data.
SEIA New Jersey State Solar Policy Priorities
SEIA is working with the legislature and other stakeholders to guarantee continued solar growth in the state even with forecasts showing a flattening demand for energy. We are:
- Supporting implementation of the newly stabilized SREC market through S2314/A3723;
- Helping to design the next generation of solar incentive programs in NJ; and
- Advocating for legislation to open New Jersey to community shared solar.
Notable Solar Installations in New Jersey
- Pilesgrove Solar Project was completed in 2015 by developer Con Edison and Panda Energy. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 18 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 2,796 New Jersey homes.5
- Several large retailers in New Jersey have gone solar including Anheuser-Busch, Ashley Plaza and AT&T. Berry Plastics Corporation has installed one of the largest such installations with 14 MW of solar capacity at their location in Phillipsburg.6
- At 10 MW, L&D Landfill Solar in Mt. Holly is among the largest solar installations in New Jersey. This project has enough electric capacity to power more than 1,553 homes.7
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in New Jersey
Looking for a local installer? Use the SEIA EnergySage Marketplace to compare quotes and find companies in your area. You can also review the average costs for installing solar in New Jersey, based on real price data from solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
New Jersey State Solar Policy Resources
New Jersey Board of Public Utilities - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of New Jersey public utilities
New Jersey State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in
New Jersey's Clean Energy Program - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database - New Jersey - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in New Jersey and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - New Jersey State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government
1All data from SEIA/GTM Research U.S. Solar Market Insight unless otherwise noted: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/us-solar-market-insight
2Energy Information Administration, Electric Power Monthly: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/#generation
3The Solar Foundation, State Solar Jobs Census: http://www.thesolarfoundation.org/solar-jobs-census/states/
4SEIA, National Solar Database: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/national-solar-database
5SEIA, Major Solar Projects List: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
7SEIA, Solar Means Business: http://www.seia.org/campaign/solar-means-business-2016=>