South Carolina Solar
View more solar data.
SEIA South Carolina State Solar Policy Priorities & Highlights
SEIA is heavily engaged on H3659, which:
- Eliminates the capacity caps on net energy metered systems, and extends the full retail rate for systems that are installed before 6/1/2021. The South Carolina Public Service Commission will determine the rate for systems installed on or after 6/1/2021.
- Outlines terms for large scale solar projects that have been in the interconnection queue for years. These terms will apply until South Carolina’s IOU’s install solar to reach 20% of their peak demand.
- Creates more transparency and competition in long term utility planning, the opportunity for additional community solar programs, and gives oversight to the PSC on rates and term paid to future large scale solar.
For more information on SEIA's work in South Carolina, please contact Maggie Clark.
Notable Solar Installations in South Carolina
- Colleton County Solar Farm was completed in 2013 by developer TIG Sun energy. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 3 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 325 South Carolina homes.5
- Several large retailers in South Carolina have gone solar, including Boeing, General Growth Properties and Target. It has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 2 MW of solar capacity at their location in North Charleston.6
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in South Carolina
Looking for a local installer? Use SolarReviews to get company reviews and estimates for solar in your area. You can also view the average costs for installing solar in South Carolina, based on real price data from installed systems and solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
South Carolina State Solar Policy Resources
South Carolina Public Service Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of South Carolina public utilities
South Carolina State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in South Carolina
South Carolina State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE Incentives Database – South Carolina – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in South Carolina and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration – South Carolina State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government