U.S. Solar Market Insight
Updated December 13th
The U.S. installed 1.7 gigawatts (GW) of solar PV capacity in Q3 2018 to reach 60 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 11.3 million American homes. This represents a 15% year-over-year decrease and a 20% quarter-over-quarter decrease. Total installed U.S. PV capacity is expected to more than double over the next five years, and by 2023, over 14 GW of PV capacity will be installed annually.
Click here to read the Executive Summary of the latest Solar Market Insight Report. The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections. To learn more about the Solar Market Insight Report series, click here.
BOSTON Mass. and WASHINGTON D.C. (September 13, 2018) — The Section 201 solar tariffs took a toll on utility-scale solar installations in the third quarter according to the U.S. Solar Market Insight Report for Q3 from Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA). The residential market, meanwhile, continued to stabilize after a down 2017. Overall, the analysts expect 2018 growth to be flat...(Keep Reading)
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
- Click to Tweet: According to @SEIA/@WM_PowerRenew, #solar accounted for 30% of all new electric generating capacity brought online in the first 3 quarters of 2018! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: There is now more than 60 GW of #solar capacity installed in the U.S. - enough to power over 11.3 million homes! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Brand new data from @SEIA/@WM_PowerRenew shows the U.S. #solar industry added 1.7 GW of new electric generating capacity in Q3 2018! Check it out at seia.org/smi #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: #Solar is booming in Minnesota! The North Star State installed 270.9 MW of new solar capacity so far in 2018! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: U.S. #solar capacity is expected to more than double over the next 5 years, and by 2023, we'll be installing more than 14 GW of capacity annually! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
Use the images below to share some of the key takeaways on social media: