Arizona's solar industry is growing quickly. It is one of the sunniest states and it is experiencing one of the largest increases in solar installations in the nation.
Facts on the Arizona Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 281 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Arizona, employing 9,800.
- In 2012, Arizona installed 719 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 2nd nationally. See more solar state rankings.
- The 1,146 MW of solar energy currently installed in Arizona ranks the state 2nd in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 145,500 homes.
- In 2012, $590 million was invested in Arizona to install solar on homes and businesses.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Arizona fell by 15% last year. National prices have also dropped steadily— by 13% from last year and 34% from 2010.
Get more solar industry data.
SEIA Arizona State Policy Priorities
- Promote distributed generation (including wholesale DG) policies.
- Encourage solar-friendly rates in the discussion of the Tucson Electric Power (TEP) rate case.
- Revise the Commercial tax credit to ensure companies can take advantage of the full credit for their installations.
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
Notable Solar Installations in Arizona
- Agua Caliente in Yuma County was completed in 2013 by developer First Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 250 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 31,800 Arizona homes. An additional 40 MW will come online later this year.
- Another utility-scale project, Solana in Gila Bend, is currently under construction in Arizona and is scheduled to come online in 2013. Developed by Abengoa, this 280 MW concentrating solar power project will generate enough electricity to power 70,000 homes.
- At 150 MW, Mesquite Solar in Arlington is among the largest solar installations in Arizona. Completed in 2013 by Sempra Generation, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power over 19,100 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Arizona
- There are currently more than 281 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Arizona. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 64 manufacturers, 28 manufacturing facilities, 122 contractor/installers, 17 project developers, 28 distributors and 50 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Arizona State Solar Policy Resources
Arizona Corporation Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Arizona public utilities
Arizona State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Arizona
Arizona Governor's Office of Energy Policy – Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Arizona State University - Solar Power Lab – Read about the innovative solar technology research taking place at Arizona State University
Arizona Goes Solar – Learn about residential and commercial solar energy options and related regulations through a collaborative effort led by the Arizona Corporation Commission and implemented by the regulated electric utilities in Arizona
DSIRE Incentives Database - Arizona – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Arizona and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Arizona State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government