Please note: the information on this page reflects data from Q3 2016, and has not been updated to include the full 2016 Year In Review. The full report and accompanying resources will be made available at this link on March 9th. In the meantime, SEIA will make national and state-level data from the forthcoming report available by request. If you are a member of the press with questions regarding the 2016 data, contact Alexandra Hobson at firstname.lastname@example.org. For all other inquiries, contact the SEIA Research Department at email@example.com.
Solar Adds More Than 4 Gigawatts of Capacity in Q3, Marking its Largest Quarter in History
Updated December 13, 2016
The U.S. installed 4,143 megawatts (MW) of solar PV in Q3 2016 to reach 35.8 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 6.5 million American homes. With more than 1 million residential solar installations nationwide and record-breaking growth in the utility-scale sector, the industry is poised to nearly double year-over-year.
The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections.
BOSTON, MASS AND WASHINGTON, D.C. - The United States solar market just shattered all previous quarterly solar photovoltaic (PV) installation records. According to GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association’s (SEIA) Q4 2016 U.S. Solar Market Insight report, 4,143 megawatts (MW) of solar PV were installed in the U.S. in the third quarter of the year, a rate of one MW every 32 minutes. That pace is even faster today, as the fourth quarter will surpass this past quarter’s historic total.
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
Have all of our most recent data at your fingertips. Designed for industry experts and communications practicioners, the Solar Data Cheat Sheet is meant for you to have at your desk. It compiles top-line data from our major reports. Get it now.
- Click to Tweet: BREAKING: SEIA/GTM Research release the Q4 2016 Solar Market Insight report! See all the new data & #solar growth at seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: The U.S. installed 4,143 MW of #solar PV in Q3 2016, making it the largest quarter ever! This and more at seia.org/smi!
- Click to Tweet: #DidYouKnow that a new MW of #solar PV capacity came online every 32 MINUTES in Q3 2016?! www.seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: #California became the first state ever to install more than 1 GW of utility-scale #solar in a single quarter! www.seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: The U.S. #solar industry projects to add 14.1 GW of new PV installations in 2016, up 88% from 2015! www.seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: The #solar industry welcomes Utah to the "Gigawatt Club" with more than 1.2 GW of solar installed! www.seia.org/smi