Solar Adds 14.8 Gigawatts of Capacity in Record 2016, On Track to Triple in Size by 2022
Updated March 9, 2017
The U.S. installed 14,800 megawatts (MW) of solar PV in 2016 to reach 42.4 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 8.3 million American homes. With more than 1 million residential solar installations nationwide and record-breaking growth in the utility-scale sector, the industry is poised to nearly triple over the next five years, surpassing 100 GW nationwide.
The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections.
BOSTON, Mass. and WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. solar market had its biggest year ever in 2016, nearly doubling its previous record and adding more electric generating capacity than any other source of energy for the first time ever. Over the next five years, the cumulative U.S. solar market is expected to nearly triple in size, even as a slight dip is expected in 2017. GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) announced these historic figures today in the U.S. Solar Market Insight 2016 Year-in-Review report.
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
Have all of our most recent data at your fingertips. Designed for industry experts and communications practicioners, the Solar Data Cheat Sheet is meant for you to have at your desk. It compiles top-line data from our major reports. Get it now.
- Click to Tweet: SEIA/GTM Research release the U.S. #SMI 2016 Year-in-Review, showing record breaking growth! More: seia.org/smi #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: The U.S. #solar market grew by 97% in 2016, adding nearly 15 GW of new capacity! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to tweet: #Solar accounted for 39% of new electric capacity installed in 2016, more than any other energy source! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet<: Today, more than 1.3 million American homes have installed a #solar PV system! More #SMI data at >seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: In 2012, only California had installed more than 1 GW of #solar. Now 9 states have eclipsed the 1 GW threshold! seia.org/smi
Use the images below to spread the great news about solar's growth with your social media networks: