Solar Adds More Than 2 Gigawatts of Capacity in Q2, Growing 43 Percent Year-Over-Year
Updated September 12, 2016
The U.S. installed 2,051 megawatts (MW) of solar PV in Q2 2016 to reach 31.6 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 6.2 million American homes. With more than 1.1 million residential solar installations nationwide and a contracted utility-scale pipeline over 20 GW, the industry is on pace to nearly double in size in 2016.
The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections.
BOSTON, MASS AND WASHINGTON, D.C. - Growing 43 percent year over year, the U.S. saw 2,051 megawatts (MW) of solar photovoltaic (PV) installed in the second quarter of 2016. According to GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association’s (SEIA) latest U.S. Solar Market Insight report, this marks the eleventh consecutive quarter in which more than a gigawatt (GW) of PV was installed.
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
Have all of our most recent data at your fingertips. Designed for industry experts and communications practicioners, the Solar Data Cheat Sheet is meant for you to have at your desk. It compiles top-line data from our major reports. Get it now.
- Click to Tweet: The #solar industry added 2,051 MW of PV in Q2 2016, bringing the total nationwide capacity to 31.6 GW! #SolarIsNow www.seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: A new #solar installation was completed every 82 seconds in the first half of 2016! See more impressive new data at www.seia.org/smi.
- Click to Tweet: Residential #solar is now over a #MillionSolarStrong, and there are now 1,162,000 total solar systems nationwide: www.seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Utility-scale #solar installed over 1 GW for the 3rd straight quarter, and projects to add over 10 GW in 2016 alone! www.seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Texas & Utah led the residential #solar market in adding 650 MW in Q2 2016, a 29% increase over Q2 2015 #SolarIsNow www.seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: The U.S. #solar industry projects to add 13.9 GW of capacity in 2016, an 85% growth from a record-breaking 2015! www.seia.org/smi