The Colorado solar market is limited by utility procurement and utility incentive programs. Therefore while Colorado is friendly to solar, there has not been substantive annual growth in recent years. SEIA is fighting challenges to net metering and encourage solar opportunity throughout Colorado.
Facts on the Colorado Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 388 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Colorado, employing 4,200 people.
- In 2014, Colorado installed 67 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 13th nationally.
- The 430 MW of solar energy currently installed in Colorado ranks the state ninth in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 82,000 homes.
- In 2014, $212 million was invested on solar installations in Colorado.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Colorado have fallen by 24% in the last year. National Prices have also dropped steadily- by 6% from last year and 53% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
SEIA Colorado State Policy Priorities
- Defend the Colorado Renewable Energy Standard.
- Support policies that to promote fair solar access, including permitting, interconnection and tax assessment.
- Support policies to encourage Solar Heating and Cooling technologies.
- Ensure transparency in and maximum opportunity within the Xcel Energy's Solar*Rewards Program.
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
Notable Solar Installations in Colorado
- Alamosa Solar Generating Project was completed in 2012 by developer Cogentrix. This concentrating photovoltaics project has the capacity to generate 30 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 5,400 Colorado homes.
- Several large retailers in Colorado have gone solar, including Kohl's, REI, Safeway and Walmart. IKEA has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 1,120 kW of solar capacity at their location in Centennial
- Another utility scale project, the Hooper Solar Project, is currently under construction in Colorado and is scheduled to come online in 2016.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Colorado
There are currently more than 388 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Colorado. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 41 manufacturers, 12 manufacturing facilities, 189 contractor/installers, 26 project developers, 29 distributors and 105 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Colorado State Solar Policy Resources
Colorado State Energy Office – Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Colorado State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Colorado
Colorado Public Utilities Commisssion – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of California public utilities
DSIRE Incentives Database - Colorado – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Colorado and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Colorado State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government