Facts on the Indiana Solar Industry
There are currently more than 72 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Indiana, employing 1,600 people.
- In 2015, Indiana installed 24 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 21st nationally.
- The 136 MW of solar energy currently installed in Indiana ranks the state 18th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 14,000 homes.
In 2015, $38 million was invested on solar installations in Indiana.
- Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 6% from last year and 48% from 2010.
Get more solar industry data.
SEIA Indiana State Policy Priorities
- Promote distributed generation (including wholesale DG) policies.
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure reasonable and equitable property taxation treatment for solar systems.
Notable Solar Installations in Indiana
Indianapolis International Airport Solar Farm was completed in 2014 by developer Telamon Corporation and Johnson Melloh Solutions. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 17.5 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 1,800 Indiana homes.
- Several large retailers in Indiana have gone solar, including General Motors. General Motors has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 14 kW of solar capacity at their location in Roanoke.
At 9 MW, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Solar Farm is among the largest solar installations in Indiana. Completed in 2014 by SunWize Technologies and Blue Renewable Energy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 1,000 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Indiana
There are currently more than 72 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Indiana. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 22 manufacturers, 14 manufacturing facilities, 31 contractor/installers, 1 project developer, 9 distributors and 9 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Indiana.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Indiana.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Indiana offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Indiana Renwable Energy Association - Keep up on the state of renewable energy in Indiana.
Indiana General Assembly- Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Indiana
Indiana Office of Energy Development - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE Incentives Database - Indiana - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Indiana and across the United States