Minnesota's 136 solar companies work hard to ensure that the state ranks in the top half of the U.S. for their efforts to expand solar.
Facts on the Minnesota Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 136 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Minnesota, employing 2,000 people.
- In 2015, Minnesota installed 13 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 25th nationally.
- The 33 MW of solar energy currently installed in Minnesota ranks the state 28th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 4,100 homes.
- In 2015, $31 million was invested on solar installations in Minnesota. This represents a 106% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 6% from last year and 48% from 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Minnesota
- Slayton Solar Project was completed in 2013 by developer Ecos Energy. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 2 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 300 Minnesota homes.
- Several large retailers in Minnesota have gone solar, including Mortenson Construction. IKEA has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with over 1 MW of solar capacity at their location in Bloomington.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Minnesota
There are currently more than 136 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Minnesota. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 25 manufacturers, 10 manufacturing facilities, 47 contractor/installers, 11 project developers, 8 distributors and 45 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Minnesota.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Minnesota.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Minnesota offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Public Utilities Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Minnesota public utilities
Department of Commerce - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Minnestota
DSIRE incentives database - Minnesota - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Minnesota and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Minnesota State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government