Minnesota's 89 solar companies work hard to ensure that the state ranks in the top half of the U.S. for their efforts to expand solar.
Facts on the Minnesota Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 89 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Minnesota, employing 864.
- In 2013, Minnesota installed 6 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 25th nationally.
- The 15 MW of solar energy currently installed in Minnesota ranks the state 28th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 1,900 homes.
- In 2013, $27 million was invested in Minnesota to install solar for home, business and utility use.
- The price to install solar on homes and business has dropped steadily across the country — by 4% from last year and 37% from 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in Minnesota
- Slayton Solar Project was completed in 2013 by developer Ecos Energy. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 2 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 300 Minnesota homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Minnesota
- There are currently more than 89 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Minnesota. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 21 manufacturers, 10 manufacturing facilities, 42 contractor/installers, 8 project developers, 4 distributors and 14 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Minnesota State Solar Policy Resources
Public Utilities Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Minnesota public utilities
Department of Commerce - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Minnestota
DSIRE incentives database - Minnesota - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Minnesota and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Minnesota State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government