New York has a considerable amount of solar potential. The state has several policies in place to promote solar investment, including a feed-in tariff through Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), a New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) customer-sited tiered program and net metering.
The New York State Capitol, located in Albany, houses the New York State Legislature.
Facts on the New York Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 414 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in New York, employing 5,000.
- In 2013, New York installed 69 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 9th nationally.
- The 247 MW of solar energy currently installed in New York ranks the state 9th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 38,300 homes.
- In 2013, $257 million was invested in New York to install solar on homes and businesses. This represents a 34% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in New York have fallen by 4% in the last year. National prices have also dropped steadily— by 12% from last year and 31% from 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in New York
- Long Island Solar Farm was completed in 2011 by developer BP Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 32 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 5,000 New York homes.
- At 5 MW, Eastern Long Island Solar Project is among the largest solar installations in New York. Completed in 2012 by EDF Renewables, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 800 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in New York
- There are currently more than 414 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in New York. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 71 manufacturers, 27 manufacturing facilities, 154 contractor/installers, 33 project developers, 19 distributors and 137 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
New York Solar Policy Resources
New York State Energy Research & Development Authority - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, research, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
New York State Public Service Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of New York public utilities
New York State Assembly - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in New York
DSIRE incentives database - New York - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in New York and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - New York State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government