New York has a considerable amount of solar potential. The state has several policies in place to promote solar investment, including a feed-in tariff through Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), a New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) customer-sited tiered program and net metering.
The New York State Capitol, located in Albany, houses the New York State Legislature.
Facts on the New York Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 347 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in New York, employing 3,300.
- 30 MW of solar were installed in New York in the fourth quarter of 2012. New York ranked 9th nationally in Q4 installations. See more solar state rankings.
- In 2012, New York ranked 11th nationally in solar capacity installed.
- New York ranks 12th nationally in cumulative installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 27,000 homes.
- In 2012, $257 million was invested in New York to install solar on homes and businesses. This represents a 91% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in New York continue to fall--by 13% from last year. National prices have also dropped steadily--by 14% from last year and 31% since 2010.
View more solar data.
Notable Solar Installations in New York
- Long Island Solar Farm in Brookhaven is the largest solar energy project in New York. This 38 MW photovoltaic system came online in 2011 and provides enough clean energy to power 4,500 Long Island homes.
- IKEA installed a 200 kW solar photovoltaic system on their store in Brooklyn, one of several systems installed by IKEA throughout the country as part of their goal to go 100% renewable at all of its buildings within the decade.
- The Eastern Long Island Solar Project consists of 60,000 solar photovoltaic panels spread across 7 solar carports on public properties in Suffolk County. The 17 MW project will be connected to the grid through the Long Island Power Authority, and will provide enough electricity to power 1,850 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in New York
There are currently more than 347 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in New York. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 60 manufacturers, 28 manufacturing facilities, 118 contractor/installers, 20 project developers, 15 distributors and 134 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
New York Solar Policy Resources
New York State Energy Research & Development Authority - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, research, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
New York State Public Service Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of New York public utilities
New York State Assembly - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in New York
DSIRE incentives database - New York - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in New York and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - New York State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government