There are currently more than 142 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Tennessee.
Facts on the Tennessee Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 142 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Tennessee, employing 2,800 people.
- In 2013, Tennessee installed 25 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 19th nationally.
- The 77 MW of solar energy currently installed in Tennessee ranks the state 21st in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 7,300 homes.
- In 2013, $109 million was invested in Tennessee to install solar for home, business and utility use. This represents a 1% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- The price to install solar on homes and businesses has dropped steadily across the country — by 8% from last year and 34% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in Tennessee
- VW Solar Project in Chattanooga was completed in 2013 by developer Phoenix Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 8 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 600 Tennessee homes.
- At 4 MW, West Tennessee Solar Farm is among the largest solar installations in Tennessee. Completed in 2012 by Signal Energy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 300 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Tennessee
There are currently more than 142 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Tennessee. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 34 manufacturers, 18 manufacturing facilities, 60 contractor/installers, 9 project developers, 14 distributors and 25 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Tennessee State Solar Policy Resources
Tennessee Regulatory Athority (TRA) – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Tennessee public utilities
Tennessee General Assembly – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Tennessee
DSIRE Incentives Database - Tennessee – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Tennessee and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Tennessee State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government