There are currently more than 151 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Tennessee.
Facts on the Tennessee Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 151 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Tennessee, employing 3,800 people.
- In 2015, Tennessee installed 11 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 27th nationally.
- The 129 MW of solar energy currently installed in Tennessee ranks the state 20th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 12,000 homes.
- In 2015, $25 million was invested on solar installations in Tennessee.
- Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 6% from last year and 48% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in Tennessee
- VW Solar Project in Chattanooga was completed in 2013 by developer Phoenix Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 8 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 700 Tennessee homes.
- At a combined 40 MW, the Selmer and Mulberry Solar Farms in McNairy County are tied for the largest solar installations in Tennessee. Completed in 2014 by Strata Solar, these two photovoltaic projects have enough capacity to power more than 4,800 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Tennessee
There are currently more than 150 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Tennessee. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 36 manufacturers, 19 manufacturing facilities, 63 contractor/installers, 8 project developers, 14 distributors and 29 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Tennessee.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Tennessee.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Tennessee offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Tennessee Regulatory Athority (TRA) – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Tennessee public utilities
Tennessee General Assembly – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Tennessee
DSIRE Incentives Database - Tennessee – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Tennessee and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Tennessee State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government