Utah's solar industry is growing, supported by investments from companies like IKEA, which installed Utah's largest commercial solar system.
Facts on the Utah Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 75 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Utah, employing 1,500 people.
- In 2014, Utah installed 10 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 24th nationally.
- The 39 MW of solar energy currently installed in Utah ranks the state 27th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 6,700 homes.
- In 2014, $31 million was invested on solar installations in Utah.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Utah have fallen by 4% in the last year. National Prices have also dropped steadily- by 6% from last year and 53% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Solar Installations in Utah
South Milford Solar Project was completed in 2015 by developer SunEdison. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 3.8 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 700 Utah homes.
- IKEA has installed Utah’s largest commercial solar system on its store in Draper. The 1 MW system consists of 4,228 panels and will generate enough electricity to power over 120 homes annually.
- At 1.65 MW, Salt Palace Solar Project is among the largest solar installations in Utah. Completed in 2012 by Bella Energy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 300 homes.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Utah
There are currently more than 68 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Utah. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 10 manufacturers, 3 manufacturing facilities, 36 contractor/installers, 3 project developers, 8 distributors and 11 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Utah State Solar Policy Resources
Utah Public Utilities Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of California public utilities
Utah Office of Energy Development – Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Utah State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Utah
DSIRE Incentives Database - Utah – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Utah and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Utah State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government