Utah's solar industry is growing, supported by investments from companies like IKEA, which installed Utah's largest commercial solar system. Click here to download the fact sheet.
Facts on the Utah Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 92 solar companies1 at work throughout the value chain in Utah, employing 2,679 people2.
- In 2015, Utah installed 231 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it eighth nationally3. Installed solar capacity in Utah has grown by 1538% over the last year.
- In 2015, $389 million was invested on solar installations in Utah. This represents a 1168% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- The 391 MW of solar energy currently installed in Utah ranks the state 14th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 67,000 homes.
- Over the next five years, Utah is expected to install 2684 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking the state sixth over that time span. This amount is more than 11 times the amount of solar installed over the last five years.
- Installed solar PV system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 12% from last year and 66% from 2010.
- South Milford Solar Project was completed in 2015 by developer SunEdison. It has the capacity to generate 3.8 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 700 Utah homes4.
- At 104 MW, Redhills Renewable Energy Park is among the largest solar installations in Utah. Completed in 2016 by Scatec Solar, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 17,800 homes5.
- Several large retailers in Utah have gone solar, including IKEA. It has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 1,015 kW of solar capacity at their location in Draper6.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Utah
There are currently more than 92 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Utah. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 13 manufacturers, 3 manufacturing facilities, 42 contractor/installers, 3 project developers, 9 distributors and 25 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Utah.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Utah.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Utah offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Utah Public Utilities Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of California public utilities
Utah Office of Energy Development – Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Utah State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Utah
DSIRE Incentives Database - Utah – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Utah and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Utah State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government