Facts on the Virginia Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 144 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Virginia, employing 1,900 people.
- In 2013, Virginia installed 6 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 27th nationally.
- The 9 MW of solar energy currently installed in Virginia ranks the state 30th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 1,000 homes.
- In 2013, $21 million was invested in Virginia to install solar for home, business and utility use.
- The price to install solar on homes and businesses has dropped steadily across the country — by 8% from last year and 34% from 2010.
Get more solar industry data.
SEIA Virginia State Policy Priorities
- Promote distributed generation (including wholesale DG) policies.
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure reasonable and equitable property taxation treatment for solar systems.
Notable Solar Installations in Virginia
- IKEA has installed Virginia’s largest commercial solar system at its facility in Woodbridge. The 504 kW system consists of 2,100 panels and will generate enough electricity to power nearly 60 homes annually.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Virginia
There are currently more than 144 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Virginia. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 17 manufacturers, 9 manufacturing facilities, 64 contractor/installers, 15 project developers, 8 distributors and 40 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Virginia State Solar Policy Resources