Facts on the Virginia Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 187 solar companies1 at work throughout the value chain in Virginia, employing 1,963 people2.
- In 2015, Virginia installed 10 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 30th nationally. Installed solar capacity in Virginia has grown by 72% over the last year3.
- In 2015, $28 million was invested on solar installations in Virginia. This represents a 86% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- The 22 MW of solar energy currently installed in Virginia ranks the state 32nd in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 2,200 homes.
- Over the next five years, Virginia is expected to install 1,091 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking the state 17th over that time span. This amount is more than 53 times the amount of solar installed over the last five years.
- Installed solar PV system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 12% from last year and 66% from 2010
Get more solar industry data.
SEIA Virginia State Policy Priorities
- Promote distributed generation (including wholesale DG) policies.
- Ensure future access to net metering for solar customers.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure reasonable and equitable property taxation treatment for solar systems.
Notable Solar Installations in Virginia
- Several large retailers in Virginia have gone solar, including IKEA. It has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 504 kW of solar capacity at their location in Woodbridge4.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Virginia
There are currently more than 187 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Virginia. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 20 manufacturers, 9 manufacturing facilities, 76 contractor/installers, 20 project developers, 9 distributors and 62 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in Virginia.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in Virginia.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in Virginia offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Virginia Utility Regulation - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Virginia public utilities
Virginia Deparment of Mines, Minerals, and Energy - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Virginia General Assembly - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Virginia
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Virginia State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government