Washington DC has 92 solar companies throughout the supply chain, the majority of which support the national solar community.
Facts on the Washington DC Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 92 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Washington DC, employing 810.
- In 2013, Washington DC installed 2 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 31st nationally.
- The 7 MW of solar energy currently installed in Washington DC ranks the state 30th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 1,100 homes.
- In 2013, $7 million was invested in Washington DC to install solar for home, business and utility use. This represents a 3% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- The price to install solar on homes and business has dropped steadily across the country — by 4% from last year and 37% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Solar Companies in Washington DC
- There are currently more than 92 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Washington DC. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 4 manufacturers, 07 contractor/installers, 16 project developers, 2 distributors and 63 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Washington DC Solar Policy Resources
Washington DC Public Utilities Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Washington DC public utilities
Council of the District of Columbia – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Washington DC
DSIRE Incentives Database - Washington DC – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Washington DC and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Washington DC Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government