Facts on the Washington DC Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 138 solar companies1 at work throughout the value chain in Washington DC, employing 1,000 people2.
- In 2015, Washington DC installed 7 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 31st nationally. Installed solar capacity in Washington DC has grown by 170% over the last year3.
- In 2015, $20 million was invested on solar installations in Washington DC. This represents a 132% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- The 17 MW of solar energy currently installed in Washington DC ranks the state 35th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 2,600 homes.
- Over the next five years, Washington DC is expected to install 135 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking the state 35th over that time span. This amount is more than 9 times the amount of solar installed over the last five years.
- Installed solar PV system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 12% from last year and 66% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Solar Installations in Washington DC
- Several large retailers in Washington DC have gone solar, including Atlas Brew Works. It has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 68 kW of solar capacity at their location in Washington, D.C.4.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Washington DC
There are currently more than 138 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Washington DC. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 3 manufacturers, 07 contractor/installers, 18 project developers, 2 distributors and 108 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Solar panel costs have fallen significantly in the last 5 years and now installing solar panels can be one of the best investments you can make for your home. There are also now a lot of products on the market utilizing sophisticated financing vehicles to make solar panels for your home affordable. This website will show you the average retail price of installing home solar panels in District of Columbia.
Solar rebates and solar tax credits in District of Columbia.
Solar incentives are offered at the utility, county, state and federal level. These solar incentives can take various forms including solar tax credits, up front solar rebates, premium feed in tariffs (known as net metering) or solar production incentives.The eligibility and rules for each incentive program can vary greatly. This solar panel calculator allows you to enter your address and it will tell you what solar incentives will apply at your house and the value of these if you go solar.
Finding the right solar company for you:
There are many solar companies in District of Columbia offering a wide variety of brands and options. This consumer reviews website will show you the consumer ratings of each solar installer that services your area and will also show you what brands of solar panels.
Washington DC Public Utilities Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Washington DC public utilities
Council of the District of Columbia – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Washington DC
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Washington DC Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government