Facts on the Wisconsin Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 137 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Wisconsin, employing 1,000.
- Wisconsin ranked 26th nationally in Q4 installations. See more solar state rankings.
- In 2012, Wisconsin ranked 26th nationally in solar capacity installed.
- Wisconsin ranks 24th nationally in cumulative installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 2,000 homes.
- In 2012, $8 million was invested in Wisconsin to install solar on homes and businesses.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Wisconsin continue to fall--by 19% from last year. National prices have also dropped steadily--by 14% from last year and 31% since 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in Wisconsin
Department store retailer Kohl’s has installed three solar photovoltaic systems on its stores in Milwaukee, Sussex, and Waukesha. The three systems combine to generate nearly 500 kW of clean solar energy.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Wisconsin
There are currently more than 137 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Wisconsin. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 28 manufacturers, 23 manufacturing facilities, 72 contractor/installers, 2 project developers, 9 distributors and 26 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.