Wisconsin is home to 168 solar companies that make up the entire supply chain needed to steer solar towards the top.
Facts on the Wisconsin Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 168 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Wisconsin, employing 1,900 people.
- In 2014, Wisconsin installed 2 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 32nd nationally.
- The 20 MW of solar energy currently installed in Wisconsin ranks the state 28th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 2,900 homes.
- In 2014, $7 million was invested on solar installations in Wisconsin.
- Installed solar photovoltaic system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily -- by 8% from last year and 49% from 2010.
View more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in Wisconsin.
- Jefferson Solar Project was completed in 2013 by developer Half Moon. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 1.1 MW of electricity-- enough to power over 200 Wisconsin homes.
Department store retailer Kohl’s has installed solar photovoltaic systems on its stores in Milwaukee, Sussex, and Waukesha. The three systems combine to generate nearly 500 kW of clean solar energy.
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Wisconsin
There are currently more than 168 solar companies at work throughout the value chain in Wisconsin. These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 34 manufacturers, 20 manufacturing facilities, 89 contractor/installers, 6 project developers, 11 distributors and 28 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.
Wisconsin State Solar Policy Resources
Wisconsin Public Service Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Wisconsin public utilities
Wisconsin State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Wisconsin
DSIRE Incentives Database - Wisconsin – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Wisconsin and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Wisconsin State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government