There are more than 237 solar companies at work in Georgia. Georgia has very strong solar potential.
Facts on the Georgia Solar Industry
- Solar Installed: 1,500.1 MW (1,067.2 MW in 2016)1
- National Ranking: 9th (3rd in 2016)
- State Homes Powered by Solar: 170,000
- Solar Jobs and Ranking: 3,924 (16th in 2016)2
- Solar Companies in State: 237 companies total; 47 Manufacturers, 100 Installers/Developers, 80 Others3
- Total Solar Investment in State: $2,017.60 million ($1,243.16 million in 2016)
- Price Declines: 55% over last 5 years
- Growth Projections and Ranking: 2,333 MW over next 5 years (ranks 9th)
- Potential Losses in Suniva Trade Case: Georgia stands to lose 1,400 solar jobs in 2018 if Suniva’s recommendations to the U.S. International Trade Commission are adopted in full4
Get more solar industry data.
Notable Installations in Georgia
- Butler Solar Project 103 was completed in 2016. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 103 MW of electricity -- enough to power over 11,656 Georgia homes.5
- Several large retailers in Georgia have gone solar including Anheuser-Busch, General Growth Properties and IKEA. IKEA has installed one of the largest such installations with 1 MW of solar capacity at their location in Port Wentworth. 6
- At 20 MW, Butler Solar Farm 20 in Butler is among the largest solar installations in Georgia. Completed in 2015, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 2,263 homes.7
See our solar installations maps.
Solar Companies in Georgia
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Georgia State Policy Resources
Georgia Public Service Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Georgia public utilities
Georgia State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Georgia
Georgia Energy Policy - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Georgia Tech University - Read about the innovative solar technology research taking place at Georgia Tech
DSIRE Incentives Database Georgia - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Georgia and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Georgia State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government
EnergySage Solar Data Explorer – Georgia – Review the costs and benefits of installing solar panels in Georgia, based on real price data from solar quotes.
1All data from SEIA/GTM Research U.S. Solar Market Insight unless otherwise noted: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/us-solar-market-insight
2Energy Information Administration, Electric Power Monthly: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/#generation
3The Solar Foundation, State Solar Jobs Census: http://www.thesolarfoundation.org/solar-jobs-census/states/
4SEIA, National Solar Database: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/national-solar-database
5SEIA, Major Solar Projects List: http://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
7SEIA, Solar Means Business: http://www.seia.org/campaign/solar-means-business-2016