Take Action: Call on Congress to Support the ITC
Your stories are our strongest advocacy tools. Please let your representatives know that you support the extension of the solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) by taking the following steps:
1. Find your Representative's Washington, D.C. office phone number. You can look up your Representative in Congress here using your zip code.
2. Call and ask to speak to the staff member who handles energy issues.
3. Urge them to support HR 3961. A sample script is below. If the staff member doesn't take your call, you can leave a message and ask to be called back - be sure to leave your phone number. If you don't hear back, call again the next day.
My name is _____, a constituent in your district. I'm calling today to ask the Congressperson to cosponsor bipartisan legislation extending the solar investment tax credit (HR 3961). The Solar ITC has supported hundreds of thousands of jobs, and is one of the most effective tools we have to support the growth of clean energy in the U.S. [ADD SOME PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE ON WHY SOLAR IS IMPORTANT TO YOU.] The legislation is bipartisan, led by Mike Thompson (D) and Paul Cook (R). Will your boss cosponsor this bill? Could you call me and let me know when the Representative makes a decision?
4. After you hang up, send us a quick email to let us know you made a call, and how it went.
Looking for other ways to stay engaged and inform your legislators about the importance of solar energy?
- Join SEIA for the Western States Lobby Day on October 23 and 24! If you live in the West (including California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska), this is a great opportunity to sit down with your representatives face-to-face and advocate for solar!
- Continuing to be loud on social media! Make sure you use #DefendTheITC on all social media platforms.
- Save the Date for the Solar+ Policy Summit in Washington, DC from December 4-5.