New York Solar
New York has a considerable amount of solar potential and has consistently been in the top 10 US solar markets. The state has other policies in place to promote solar investment, including a feed-in tariff through Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) and net metering. Through its Reforming the Energy Vision docket, the Energy Commission is reviewing the regulatory and market environment needed to encourage a more efficient electricity system, including increased amounts of distributed generation.
View more solar data.
SEIA New York State Policy Priorities
- Preserve net metering - in some form - for residential/small commercial customers
- Finalize fixes to New York's VDER tariff for larger-scale solar projects
- Advocating for an expanded Clean Energy Standard through legislation to reach 70% by 2030
- Revising the NY Sun declining block program in accordance with Governor Cuomo's recent expansion
Recent Policy Highlights
- Successfully advocated for Governor Cuomo to expand the NY Sun goal to 6 GW of distributed solar by 2025
- Led the Clean Energy Parties coalition to win significant improvements to the Value of Distributed Energy Resources (VDER) tariff
For more information on SEIA's work in New York, please contact Dave Gahl.
Notable Solar Installations in New York
- Long Island Solar Farm was completed in 2011 by developer BP Solar. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 32 MW of electricity - enough to power over 5,264 New York homes5
- Several large retailers in New York have gone solar including Anheuser-Busch, Bed Bath and Beyond and Dr. Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars. Owens Corning has installed one of the largest such installations with 2 MW of solar capacity at their location in Feura Bush.6
- At 2 MW, Argos Solar LLC in Seneca is among the largest solar installations in New York. Completed in 2015, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 329 homes.7
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in New York
Looking for a local installer? Use SolarReviews to get company reviews and estimates for solar in your area. You can also view the average costs for installing solar in New York, based on real price data from installed systems and solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
New York Solar Policy Resources
New York State Energy Research & Development Authority - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, research, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
New York State Public Service Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of New York public utilities
New York State Assembly - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in New York
DSIRE incentives database - New York - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in New York and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - New York State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government