As the Texas economy continues to grow, electricity consumption has correspondingly increased. Environmental regulations and various market pressures have forced a significant amount of generation to exit the market in recent years while older generation sources continue to be retired. Thus, new solar generation capacity is required to meet the Texas market's demand. Texas is poised to become a nationwide leader in solar energy, with more than 4 GW of capacity expected to be installed over the next 5 years, with appropriate state policy that removes market barriers and recognizes solar's benefits.
View more solar data.
SEIA Texas State Policy Priorities
- Work to ensure pro-solar outcomes in the Centerpoint and AEP/NEM rate design cases
- In the legislature, defend against elimination of the state tax credit
For more information on SEIA's work in Texas, please contact Katherine Gensler.
Notable Solar Installations in Texas
- RE Roserock LLC was completed in 2016. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 160 MW of electricity -- enough to power over 17,951 Texas homes.5
- Several large retailers in Texas have gone solar including Applied Materials, Campbell's Soup and FedEx. FedEx has installed one of the largest such installations with 2 MW of solar capacity at their location in Hutchins.6
- At 95 MW, Alamo Solar Farm 5 in Uvalde is among the largest solar installations in Texas. This project has enough electric capacity to power more than 10,658 homes.7
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in Texas
Looking for a local installer? Use SolarReviews to get company reviews and estimates for solar in your area. You can also view the average costs for installing solar in Texas, based on real price data from installed systems and solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
Texas State Solar Policy Resources
Public Utility Commission - Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Texas public utilities
State Legislature - Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Texas
State Energy Office - Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
DSIRE incentives database - Texas - Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Texas and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Texas State Profile - Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government