Arizona is one of the sunniest states and has huge potential for its solar market. While the state solar industry has tremendous growth opportunity, due to public debates about the benefits of solar, imposition of a net metering charge in 2014 and elimination of incentives, the market has been turbulent. SEIA is working with local stakeholders and policy makers to encourage stability and transparency into policies, so that the market can recover from this market disturbance and continue to grow.
Get more solar industry data.
SEIA Arizona State Policy Priorities
- Continued support of AriSEIA through a Board seat
- Participation in the APS rate case and Energy Modernization plan
For more information on SEIA's work in Arizona, please contact Sara Birmingham.
Notable Solar Installations in Arizona
- Solana was completed in 2013. This concentrating solar power project has the capacity to generate 250 MW of electricity – enough to power over 65,000 Arizona homes.5
- Several large retailers in Arizona have gone solar including Albertsons, Body Sculpting Center and Bookmans Recreational Exchange. Macy's has installed one of the largest such installations with 3 MW of solar capacity at their location in GOODYEAR.6
- At 100 MW, Mesquite Solar 2 in Tonopah is among the largest solar installations in Arizona. Completed in 2015 by Mesquite Solar 2, LLC, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 14,995 homes.7
Check out our Major Solar Projects List for more notable installations.
Solar Companies in Arizona
Looking for a local installer? Use SolarReviews to get company reviews and estimates for solar in your area. You can also view the average costs for installing solar in Arizona, based on real price data from installed systems and solar quotes.
Don't see your company listed? Complete our National Solar Database Survey!
If you're looking for information about local solar companies, check out EnergySage's list of solar companies in Arizona, where you can check out information about each company and see real customer reviews.
Arizona State Solar Policy Resources
Arizona Corporation Commission – Learn about the governing body that regulates the electricity rates and services of Arizona public utilities
Arizona Goes Solar – Learn about residential and commercial solar energy options and related regulations through a collaborative effort led by the Arizona Corporation Commission and implemented by the regulated electric utilities in Arizona
Arizona Governor's Office of Energy Policy – Find a wide variety of information on state government energy programs, policy, projects, energy-saving strategies and energy-related statistics
Arizona State Legislature – Track pending legislation affecting solar energy, locate and contact individual legislators, and stay up to date on current legislative issues in Arizona
Arizona State University - Solar Power Lab – Read about the innovative solar technology research taking place at Arizona State University
DSIRE Incentives Database - Arizona – Search a public clearinghouse for specific solar energy incentives in Arizona and across the United States
U.S. Energy Information Administration - Arizona State Profile – Explore official energy statistics, including data on electricity supply and demand, from the U.S. government