U.S. Solar Market Insight
Updated September 13, 2018
The U.S. installed 2.3 gigawatts (GW) of solar PV capacity in Q2 2018 to reach 58.3 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 11 million American homes. This represents a 9% year-over-year decrease and a 7% quarter-over-quarter decrease. Total installed U.S. PV capacity is expected to more than double over the next five years, and by 2023, over 14 GW of PV capacity will be installed annually.
Click here to read the Executive Summary of the latest Solar Market Insight Report. The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections. To learn more about the Solar Market Insight Report series, click here.
BOSTON Mass. and WASHINGTON D.C. (September 13, 2018) — The U.S. solar market has experienced a tumultuous few quarters since the government last year began considering tariffs on imported solar modules and cells, but data for the second quarter of 2018 show signs of a turnaround in the market...(Keep Reading)
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
- Click to Tweet: Brand new data from @SEIA/@GTMResearch shows the U.S. #solar industry added 2.3 GW of new electric generating capacity in Q2 2018! Check it out at seia.org/smi #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: There is now more than 58 GW of #solar capacity installed in the U.S. - enough to power over 11 million homes! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: According to @SEIA/@GTMResearch, #solar accounted for 29% of all new electric generating capacity brought online in the first half of 2018! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: #Solar is booming in the Lone Star State! Texas installed 640 MW of new solar capacity in Q2 2018, second only to California! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: U.S. #solar capacity is expected to more than double over the next 5 years, and by 2023, we'll be installing more than 14 GW of capacity annually! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
Use the images below to share some of the key takeaways on social media: