U.S. Solar Market Insight
Updated September 17, 2019
The U.S. installed 2.1 gigawatts (GW) of solar PV capacity in Q2 2019 to reach 69.1 GW of total installed capacity, enough to power 13.1 million American homes. The utility-scale solar pipeline reached a record 37.9 GW in Q2. Total installed U.S. PV capacity is expected to more than double over the next five years – by 2024, more than 15 GW of PV capacity will be installed annually.
Click here to read the Executive Summary of the latest Solar Market Insight Report. The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections. To learn more about the Solar Market Insight Report series, click here.
WASHINGTON, D.C. and HOUSTON, TX (September 17, 2019) – The U.S. solar industry now has the largest pipeline of utility-scale solar projects in history, signaling promising future prospects for solar energy development. ccording to the latest U.S. Solar Market Insight Report from Wood Mackenzie and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), the contracted pipeline has ballooned to a record 37.9 gigawatts (GW), the highest in the history of U.S. utility solar photovoltaics (PV). This follows record-high procurement of 15 GW in 2018. More than 6 GW of solar capacity were added to the five-year forecast since last quarter because of the uptick in utility-scale deals. (Keep reading)
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
- Click to Tweet: NEW: @SEIA & @WM_PowerRenew are out with a new report showing a record 37.9 GW of projects in the U.S. utility #solar pipeline! Read the report at seia.org/smi #TheSolarDecade #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: In the first half of 2019, utility #solar project announcements surged to 11.2 GW, with 6.2 GW contracted in Q2 alone. Read more about the new report from @SEIA & @WM_PowerRenew at seia.org/smi | #SolarIsNow #TheSolarDecade
- Click to Tweet: New from @SEIA & @WM_PowerRenew: The U.S. #solar market added 2.1 GW of new capacity in Q2 2019, helped by 8% year-over-year growth in the residential market. seia.org/smi | #TheSolarDecade #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: A new report from @SEIA & @WM_PowerRenew shows good news for #TheSolarDecade: Record utility announcements and corporate #solar commitments. Let's #DefendTheITC to continue building the solar economy, create jobs and fight climate change. More at seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: According @SEIA & @WM_PowerRenew, total U.S. #solar capacity will more than double over the next 5 years, with annual installations reaching 17.6 GW in 2021! More at seia.org/smi | #TheSolarDecade #SolarIsNow
Use the images below to share some of the key takeaways on social media: