U.S. Solar Market Insight
Updated March 15, 2018
The U.S. installed 10.6 gigawatts (GW) of solar PV capacity in 2017 to reach 53.3 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 10.1 million American homes. This represents a 30% decline over a record-breaking 2016. Total installed U.S. PV capacity is expected to more than double over the next five years, and by 2023, over 15 GW of PV capacity will be installed annually.
Click here to read the Executive Summary of the latest Solar Market Insight Report. The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections. To learn more about the Solar Market Insight Report series, click here.
BOSTON Mass. and WASHINGTON D.C. (March 15, 2018) — In 2017, the U.S. solar market expanded, adding double-digit gigawatt solar photovoltaic (PV) additions for the second year in a row. According to the newly released U.S. Solar Market Insight Report 2017 Year-in-Review from GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), the solar industry installed 10.6 gigawatts (GW) of new PV capacity in 2017, led by strong growth in the corporate and community solar segments.
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
- Click to Tweet: NEW: The U.S. solar industry installed 10.6 GW of new PV capacity in 2017, marking back-to-back years of double-digit gigawatt growth! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Led by a surge in commercial and community solar segments, the U.S. moves past the 50 GW milestone with 53 GW of #solar currently installed! Get the latest solar data: seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: In 2017, 30% of all new electric generating capacity brought online in the U.S. came from #solar, second only to natural gas! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Minnesota installed more megawatts of community solar in 2017 than total U.S. community solar installations in all of 2016! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: There is a new member of the top 10 #solar states! Florida, the Sunshine State, added nearly 750 MW of PV in 2017, more than doubling its total through 2016! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: U.S. PV capacity is expected to more than double over the next five years, and by 2023, more than 15 GW of #solar PV capacity will be installed annually! seia.org/smi
Use the images below to share some of the key takeaways on social media: