U.S. Solar Market Insight
Updated June 12, 2018
The U.S. installed 2.5 gigawatts (GW) of solar PV capacity in Q1 2018 to reach 55.9 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 10.7 million American homes. This represents a 13% increase year-over-year. Total installed U.S. PV capacity is expected to more than double over the next five years, and by 2023, over 14 GW of PV capacity will be installed annually.
Click here to read the Executive Summary of the latest Solar Market Insight Report. The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections. To learn more about the Solar Market Insight Report series, click here.
BOSTON Mass. and WASHINGTON D.C. (June 12, 2018) — Showing resiliency in spite of the new tariffs on imported modules, the U.S. solar market added 2.5 gigawatts of solar PV in the first quarter of the year, representing annual growth of 13 percent, according to the latest U.S. Solar Market Insight Report from GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA).
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
- Click to Tweet: NEW: The U.S. #solar industry added 2.5 GW of new PV capacity in Q1 2018, the 10th straight quarter with at least 2 GW installed! #SolarIsNow Get the latest solar data at seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Solar accounted for 55% of new electricity capacity added in the U.S. in Q1 2018, leading all electricity sources for the 2nd consecutive quarter! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: U.S. #solar capacity is expected to more than double in the next 5 years, and by 2023, more than 14 GW of solar will be installed annually! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Florida, the Sunshine State, added more #solar in Q1 2018 than it did in all of 2016! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Commercial and industrial #solar now accounts for 2 GW (10%) of #solar projects in development! #SolarMeansBiz seia.org/smi
Use the images below to share some of the key takeaways on social media: