U.S. Solar Market Insight
Updated June 18, 2019
The U.S. installed 2.7 gigawatts (GW) of solar PV capacity in Q1 2019 to reach 67 GW of total installed capacity, enough to power 12.7 million American homes. This represents a 10% year-over-year increase. Total installed U.S. PV capacity is expected to more than double over the next five years – by 2024, more than 15 GW of PV capacity will be installed annually.
Click here to read the Executive Summary of the latest Solar Market Insight Report. The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections. To learn more about the Solar Market Insight Report series, click here.
BOSTON Mass. and WASHINGTON D.C. (June 18, 2019) – In the first three months of the year, the U.S. installed 2.7 gigawatts of solar photovoltaics (PV), making it the most solar ever installed in the first quarter of a year. With the strong first quarter, Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables forecasts 25% growth in 2019 compared to 2018, and it expects more than 13 GWdc of installations this year. (Keep reading)
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
- Click to Tweet: NEW: The U.S. #solar industry installed 2.7 GW of new PV capacity in Q1 2019, making it the best Q1 in U.S. solar history! #SolarIsNow #TheSolarDecade Learn more at seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: According to @SEIA/@WM_PowerRenew, #solar accounted for 51% of all new electric generating capacity additions in Q1 2019! #SolarIsNow #TheSolarDecade seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: The U.S. became #2MillionSolarStrong in Q1 2019, and is on pace to reach 3 million #solar installations by 2021 and 4 million by 2023! #SolarIsNow #TheSolarDecade seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: According to @SEIA/@WM_PowerRenew's new SMI report, the U.S. will install 13 GW of new #solar capacity in 2019, a 25% jump from 2018! #SolarIsNow #TheSolarDecade seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: States continue to lead the way on clean energy, with FL, CA, NV, NC & SC each installing more than 100 MW of new #solar capacity in Q1 2019! See where your state ranks: seia.org/states-map
Use the images below to share some of the key takeaways on social media: