U.S. Solar Market Insight
In Second Largest Q2 in History, U.S. Solar Industry adds 2.4 GW of capacity
Updated September 11, 2017
The U.S. installed 2,387 megawatts (MW) of solar PV in Q2 2017 to reach 47.1 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 9.1 million American homes. This represents an 8% increase over the same quarter last year, and the industry is poised to install more than 12 GW of solar capacity before the end of 2017.
The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections. Purchase the full report
BOSTON Mass. and WASHINGTON D.C. (September 11, 2017) — The U.S. solar market continued its years-long expansion in the second quarter of 2017 as the industry installed 2,387 megawatts (MW) of solar photovoltaics (PV), the largest total in a second quarter to date. This tops Q1’s total and represents an 8 percent year-over-year gain, GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) said in the latest U.S. Solar Market Insight Report.
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
- Click to Tweet: BREAKING: SEIA/GTM release Q3 2017 U.S. Solar Market Insight showing the #solar industry installed 2,387 MW of new capacity! seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: The 2,387 MW of #solar capacity installed in Q2 2017 breaks the record for the largest second quarter ever! #SolarIsNow/li>
- Click to Tweet: Q2 2017 marks the 7th STRAIGHT quarter that the U.S. installed more than 2 gigawatts of new #solar capacity! #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: Through Q2 2017, #solar accounted for 22% of all new electric generating capacity brought online in the U.S. #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: Residential, non-residential and utility-scale sectors ALL experienced quarter-over-quarter growth in Q2 2017! #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: CA, TX, NC, MA and MN all added more than 100 MW of new #solar capacity in Q2 2017! #SolarIsNow