U.S. Solar Market Insight
For 8th Straight Quarter, U.S. Solar Industry Installs More Than 2 GW of Capacity
Updated December 14, 2017
The U.S. installed 2,031 megawatts (MW) of solar PV in Q3 2017 to reach 49.3 gigawatts (GW) of total installed capacity, enough to power 9.5 million American homes. This represents a 51% decline over a record-breaking 2016. The industry is poised to install nearly 12 GW of solar capacity before the end of the year.
Click here to read the Executive Summary of the latest Solar Market Insight Report. The full report includes all the data and analysis from our Executive Summary plus incisive, state-level breakdowns of installations, costs, manufacturing and demand projections. To learn more about the Solar Market Insight Report series, click here.
BOSTON Mass. and WASHINGTON D.C. (December 14, 2017) — The U.S. installed more than 2 gigawatts (GW) of solar photovoltaics (PV) in the third quarter of 2017, despite experiencing higher prices across all market segments and major policy uncertainty. In their latest U.S. Solar Market Insight report, GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) said prices rose due to a tight global supply of modules and uncertainty around the Section 201 trade case now being weighed at the White House.
For more facts and figures about the U.S. solar industry, including historical data and future projections, click here.
- Click to Tweet: NEW: @SEIA and @GTMResearch release the Q4 2017 U.S. Solar Market Insight report showing 2,031 megawatts of #solar PV installed in Q3 this year! More data at seia.org/smi #SolarIsNow
- Click to Tweet: The U.S. installed 2,031 MW of #solar PV in Q3 2017, marking the EIGHTH STRAIGHT quarter with at least 2 GW installed! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Through Q3 2017, 25% of all new electric generating capacity brought on-line in the U.S. has come from #solar, second only to natural gas! #SolarIsNow More at seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: SEIA/@GTMResearch forecast 11.8 GW of new PV installations will come on-line in 2017, marking back-to-back years of double-digit gigawatt growth! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: Utility-scale installations drove growth in Q3, but the non-residential market stood out, growing 22% from year-over-year with 481 MW installed! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi
- Click to Tweet: CA, NC, NV, MA, TX and FL all saw more than 100 MW of new solar capacity installed in Q3 2017! #SolarIsNow seia.org/smi